Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog seems to have a yeast infection. She is itching from

My dog seems to have a yeast infection. She is itching from head to toe. I took her to the vet about a month ago with an ear infection. She was put on antibotics.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Ivory's itching. To best help, I need to ask some questions.

1) One month ago, was she itching all over when she had the ear infection?
2) How long has this current itching from head to toe been going on?
3) Is she loosing any fur in any area?
4) Is she really chewing her paws?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1. Yes, but not this bad. I thought it was due to her being sensitive to fleas. She is on advantix.
2. About 3 weeks. She started after she finished the antibotics.
3. Yes. She is losing fur all over. Her skin seems to be very dry.
4. Yes, but I put a collar on her.

I have problems with her every Summer, but never this bad. I had switched her from Nutro to Iams. I now have her on Taste of the Wild.
Thank you for that good information. I'll be honest and say that while dogs can get significant yeast infections, they aren't that common. When they do happen, they are due to underlying issues allowing them to fire up. The underlying issues that are most common for situations like this are allergies.

Here are two good links on the allergies.

Airborne allergies:

Food allergies:

With your statement of this happening every summer, but not this bad, the suspicion has to be extremely high for an airborne allergen (atopy). Some dogs can become more sensitive as they get older. The other possibility is the allergen(s) that is(are) causing this are very bad this year.

With food allergies, the problem is usually year round. In a situation like this, a recheck with your vet is strongly recommended. If she's that uncomfortable, she would benefit from a course of steroids to quickly get her comfortable to then allow other medications a chance to maintain her comfort level. She may have a secondary skin infection on top of this that requires addressing too.

Please read the link on the airborne allergies as I would be very suspicious again for that.
Hi Carol,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ivory. How is everything going?