Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

I brought my dog to the vets today due to a bloody like tumor

I brought my dog to the vet's today due to a bloody like tumor on the back of her leg...she is a greyhound. The cost quoted to me for removal and biopsy was $650.00....I think I need a second opinion....what are your thoughts?

Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Beauty.

That sounds like a pretty good deal.

Generally, a histopathology to evaluate a tumor at the laboratory can easily cost about $150-200 by itself. So, $450 for anesthesia and surgery isn't to bad for a tumor excision.

Try not to squeeze it! If a mast cell tumor, that just makes it more mad and creates ore inflammation. Also, every time it opens up, there will be a predisposition for infection.

If nearby, you could get a second opinion from a VCA hospital as a free exam.

Click on the below link and enter your zip code to the right. If you find a local Veterinary Centers of America hospital, their website will have a link to a free examination voucher.
VCA hospital locator
(Disclosure: I work for a VCA hospital)
I always appreciate hearing about any experiences if you find a local VCA hospital to assist you

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Linda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Beauty. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have decided to wait this out....the charges are just too high for people on social security. She does not appear to be in pain and I can handle the cleanliness of the wound. Also, a 12 year old greyhound does not do well under anesthesia .... end of story for now.

Okay Linda.
Good Luck!