Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has to strain to start eliminating, sometimes with drops

Customer Question

My dog has to strain to start eliminating, sometimes with drops of blood on the floor. Then during the walk he has soft stool and no problems.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any other symptoms?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your prompt response. This has been maybe 2-3 weeks that I have noticed this change, and otherwise he is energetic, and normal and sweet as usual. He does not have pre-existing conditions. He has not been neutered (he was a show-dog, breeder - I got him two years ago). I hope this helps, Zsuzsa

1- Do you see mucus (jelly like) in the feces?
2- Have you checked around the anal region for any swelling?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, especially at the beginning there seems to be mucus in the feces, but not afterward. Swelling is not visible on the outside, and I don't "see" hemorrhoid on the outside. He seems to strain a lot at the beginning, or sometimes during the walk without anything coming out - which is new.

Zsuzsa, the blood and mucus is a sign of inflammation in the large intestine (colon), Levi has colitis. The reason why he strains is because the inflammation gives the sensation as if he has to go. There are lots of many conditions that would cause colitis, it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: Intestinal parasites, diet, infections, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- Change diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into a grain free diet. A diet free of corn, soy, barley, wheat, gluten, casein (dairy), etc. You can check with your local pet store for a grain free diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Consider getting him dewormed, you can buy Panacur (fenbendazole) in some pet stores, online (amazon.com) or vet's office. Give it once a day at label dose for 3 days, repeat after 3 weeks.

5- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24-48 hours, have him checked by your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you so much for your thorough answer. I will do as you suggested, and am glad that it's not something more serious :) Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have a good day. I won't forget to give an excellent rating, and will be back on this site, for sure. Zsuzsa

I am glad I was here to help.

Your Welcome Zsuzsa, nice talking to you.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Hi Zsuzsa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Levi. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you very much for the follow up, that is very kind and reassuring of
you. After the first day things looked promising, but today, it seemed
like a major constipation day, with just blood droplets at the beginning
(no stool for the first half of the day, not during the walk, which I can
monitor vs. the garden). So I changed the rice/beef diet to a grain free
dry food diet, which turns out I have had him all along. As of this evening
(Los Angeles) we had some "poop." We are at 24 hours, so I'll wait out
the 48 hours, as you suggested before taking any other action. Got the
probiotics, as you suggested but thought I do the deworming when this phase
is back in order. Question: is there a reason you suggested the particular
"dewormer" or can I get another brand? Thanks, again, and kind regards,
Zsuzsa

Hello, Zsuzsa,

I would go ahead and deworm him now, do not wait.

Yes, there is a reason why I recommended Panacur, because it has the widest spectrum. In other words, it treats almost all of the common parasites the affect dogs including whipworms (T. vulpis) which is often not found on routine fecal analysis.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you very much, Dr. Peter. I think I'll have to take Levi to the local doctor after all - his blood drops don't seem to abide, and he is straining a lot. Thank you for your recommendation - I will get Panacur, and will definitely back on your site. It's wonderful to get expert answers, and a follow-up! Have a great weekend, Zsuzsa

Your Welcome Zsuzsa.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dear Dr. Peter:

To let you know: The "weekend" doctor did a rectal and other examinations on Levi, and does not know what really is going on. A lot of blood streamed down as she did the rectal, did not feel anything unusual in the area, except "bumpy," skin where the blood collected. The feces have blood. They did a bunch of tests, the results of which will be available Monday. She asked me to go back to meet with the "other" doctor to get better answers. So $350 later we don't know more, and it is possible he has a severe colitis just as you said. :) Zsuzsa

Hello Zsuzsa, well let's wait on the test results. Thank you for the update.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dear Dr. Peter:

Thank you so much for the conversations, and I would be very glad to contribute again; you spent a lot of time on Levi. The latest is that all his tests were perfect: Xrays, blood-tests, stool test. The only thing they found is an enlarged prostate. (He is still intact. When I adopted him 2 years ago he was, and the breader suggested not to do anything about it. He was a show dog and sired many, I guess). The best news is, that it seems he is almost fully back to normal: except a small initial " dark blood plug" his stool is perfect. It seems that the pouch full of blood near his rectum is healing, and he no longer has urgency without actually eliminating. So, I really appreciate your insight and advice, and hope to ask for you next time I have questions (I'll just find this conversation and initiate a new question?). I have not yet done the deworming (have to get the medicine on amazon), but will do asap. Please let me know how I can contribute, and thanks, again, Zsuzsa

Hello Zsuzsa,

I am glad to learn all test on Levi were normal. I would however deworm him with panacur even though stool exam was negative. Remember that often whipworms are negative and for this reason it is best to rule out by deworming.

It was nice to talk with you as well. If you have other questions in the future all you need to do is put my name "Dr. Peter" on the question and I will get to it.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you very much!

Your Welcome.