Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

my 5 yr old german shepherd was dx with enlarged prostate so

my 5 yr old german shepherd was dx with enlarged prostate so had specialist neuter immediately, now aprox every 2 - 3 weeks he squirts and cant empty bladder so I place urinary cathether when its so large and get up to 700 cc urine then flush with sterile saline and he is good for another 2 - 3 weeks is this the muscles that are just not relaxing , there was no caner no abcess etc no infection and I give pred as anti inflammatory prn 10 mg maybe 3 days then 5 eod any sugestions
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Kazon.

Okay. So, it doesn't sound like you are stating that there is any "straining" to urinate. Straining would be usually observed if there was any obstruction to urinating like from the prostate hypertrophy (enlargement).

If there is no true obstruction, and the bladder doesn't seem to be expressing, that can suggest a different problem like bladder atony.

Now, you are not trying to treat urinary incontinence. You are trying to deal with a bladder that is not contracting. If that is the case, you should ask your vet if a trial on bethanecol.

Bethanecol in Dogs

So, it may not be that muscles are not relaxing, but the opposite, where the bladder is not properly contracting. Not as common, but it can occur.

tough question, but best info I could throw out there. Definitely, if you have already worked with a specialist, make sure to get them involved as well.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The specialist was Dr. Robert Roy Graduate From Auburn University and owns Pam Beach Trauma and referral facility I am a vet tech but have never encountered this, His bladder is normal and good stream for two weeks or three then seems like after dinner usually he has the most diffucility every two to three weeks so I buy 8 French red rubber and pass cathether no difficulty at all no blockage, there was no evidence of any issues with abcess or problems at time of neuter. One I remove the HOT urine and flush with saline he is fine again with great strem for 2 - 3 weeks would x-ray or mri benefit better and I this just adjustment to neuter 6 months ago do you think

Hi Joy,
I would definitely not keeping passing that catheter. Every time it will contribute to some urethral irritation, as well as, can introduce contaminants leading to a UTI.

I would be more inclined to recommend doing a bladder expression by palpation! If catheter is passing that easy and bladder is overly distended, a proper palpation may be able to get him to involuntarily urinate for you.

Yep...tough question. Awkward symptoms. Sorry, don't know the specialist, as I am in California.

But, with problem only ONCE every 2-3 weeks, not a clear indicator for medical therapy either.

Definitely, you need to appraise Dr. Roy again about what is occurring, but make sure you clarify it is only once every 2-3 weeks.
X-ray like to show nothing.

I would say a MRI and a possible ultrasound of the bladder and prostate. Ultrsound first.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to keep bothering you but one last question, It is impossible to express manually not even the veterinarians can, I do use the flexible red rubber and it is always new and sterile, and I do wear gloves to avoid any contamination as well as lubricate well, Sometimes I only get it in inches and my dog is huge 110 lbs so prior red rubber would not work , Urine flows thru the cathether and around. I do use a smaller catheter but he also had intesaseption sx when he was 16 weeks old and lost 1/4 of sm intestines as well as illium and his neuter was 2001.00 The cost to me is nothing compared to finding a way to helping him. Every anti inflammatory herbal and bladder herbal I have tried but when I do empty I can palpate a golf ball thicking whether that is the bladder wall or what I am unsure but he developed the prostate issue over a period of two years and previous vet was not on the ball unfortunately. I will speak to dr Roy and Have capability to have ultrasound just seems so odd that once I empty and flush hes great for weeks. any extra thoughts are always appreciated.

Understood, had to mention it.

Agreed that it is awkward that things are fine for weeks.

Personally, if I were your vet. I would do nothing.
I would wait until the next episode occurs!
Than, at that time, get into the vet and request the ultrasound by the specialist, to see if there is something irregular about the bladder or urethra that is contributing to the problem. Best time to look is when the problem is occurring.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tank you your great wish you were in Florida but its ironic Dr. Roy places pace makers and total hips etc. but OMG says here Joy 20.00

You can pass the catheter as well or better than my techs now, and when I had him neutered I had to hold for catheter to be paced and then I placed trach tube and tied in and hooked up This dog wont be led away from me last xrays I placed on table and said stay VD position He stayed perfectly He is my boy for sure I do so much appreciate the help and see about looking into the medication. Do you recommend any particular food He get Iams Healthy Natural 2 cups daily and 1/2 pound ground cooked turkey. plus some scraps of chicken bathed in nolvasen shampoo and groomed twice daily goes shopping daily bowel movements normal etc playful and he goes everywhere with me currecnt on shots heartworm and frontline andy suggestions that would be more beneficial Thank you for all you help realy you have been fantastic

Definitely, no change in diet. We do not want to in anyway change the pH or concentration of his urine until re=evaluated. Too many extra variables. I would not change the food yet.

You are very welcome. I always strive to get the best feedback rating possible.

Hi Joy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still doing ok with urine, has had normal strem, for last few days, I watch him like a hawk and even can tell you when hes normal he drinks either 42 -n 44 sips of h2o or if really thirsty after exercise its 82 - 84. Hes had 10 mg pred but impossible to manually express bladder, did pass urinary cath night after we spoke and another 800 cc then sterile saline flush so normal since then and happy healthly boy. Thank you for the wonderful answers and followups and I am definitely making him appointment for x-ray then mri after . Thank you again

joy mckay

You are very welcome Joy.
Good Luck!