Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Daschund mix ate the contents of a diaper about 5 days ago.

My Daschund mix ate the contents of a diaper about 5 days ago. Thursday night when I got home from work there was vomit and black diarrhea in my living room. Since then he seems to be acting normal except that he still is passing drops of diarrhea. Is there something I can give him to either help him pass the rest or return him to normal?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he straining to defecate?
2- Have you been checking the stool to see if the diaper is passing?
3- Is he eating and drinking?
4- Is he on any medications?
5- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he is. I haven't seen remnants of the diaper. He is eating and drinking.. No he is not. His gums are pink to pale.

Friend, I am a bit concern about what you are describing. You see, the black color stool is most likely secondary to bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract, the reason why the blood is black and not red is because it has been digested. His symptoms are consistent with an obstruction. At this point, I would highly recommend you seek veterinary care to have xrays done (with contrast material like barium) to rule out an obstruction, if this is not treated the bowel can rupture with fatal consequences. If you are not able to get him to a vet today this is what you can do until he is seen by a veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol, imodium or laxatives. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to let his gastrointestinal tract relax, intestines are hyperactive.
3- After 4-5 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for xrays.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter