Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My shitzu/bichon vomited and had diarrhea during the night.

My shitzu/bichon vomited and had diarrhea during the night. She may have a fever this morning, but not sure. She's pretty listless. She is 3 years old.

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Dolly.

I'm sorry to hear that she is not feeling well.

It is possible that she picked up a stomach virus or ate something that upset her stomach.

The best thing to do at this point is to let the stomach and intestines rest. The way to do this is by NOT feeding her anything. No food for 24 hours. You can give small amounts of water throughout the day to maintain hydration.

If she lets you, you can give her a dose of pepto bismol. You can give her a 1/2 of a tablet, or if you have the liquid, 1/4 of the adult human dose. This can be repeated every 12 hours.

If Dolly continues to vomit, then she will need to be seen by a vet. Depending on how severe the vomiting is, you may need to bring her in to an emergency vet today, or you may be able to wait until tomorrow. That is a judgment call that only you can make based on how she is acting.

I hope this helps and that she is feeling better very soon. If you have any further questions, reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your answer. I will try the peptol bismol.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I forgot to do I treat a fever and how do I know if she has one?

The only way to tell if she has a fever would be to take her temperature. I would not be concerned about that for now. She may actually have a fever, but it could be due to the irritation of her stomach and intestines.

By allowing that inflammation to subside by treating conservatively as I described, the fever may resolve itself.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dolly. How is everything going?