Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My 5.5pound 2 year old female yorkie has vomited 7 times since

My 5.5pound 2 year old female yorkie has vomited 7 times since last night around 8pm. The only thing different in her diet yesterday was a raw marrow bone. She is sleeping now, but is it possible that she got sick from the raw marrow bone? She ate it around 8am and started with the vomiting 12 hours later.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- Has Chloe been able to keep water down before she recently went to sleep?
- Did she ingest any large pieces of the marrow bone?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Chloe has been able to keep water down as far as I can tell. She drank quite a bit earlier before going to bed, but none in the middle of the night. I don't think she ingested any larger pieces of bone, just some of the meaty and fatty part that she chewed off.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi there Christine,

Thanks for your quick reply. There are a few things that could be happening here, but yes - she could potentially have a simple GI upset simply due to the fat that she ingested from the bone. Raw bones can potentially harbor bad GI bacteria as well like Salmonella or Campylobacter, so that will have to stay in the back of our minds here. There is a small chance she could have an obstruction, but if you haven't noticed any large bits of bone that were ingested, this is unlikely.

It is great to hear that she has settled for now. If she awakes and continues vomiting again, then please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is seems to be breathing rapidly throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

For now - with hold all of her food, and then from late morning, start her on a bland diet. Cooked, boneless skinless chicken breast and white rice is best for this. If she continues to vomit and can't keep this or water down, then you will need to get her seen by your local Vet. You may also want to try your girl with a little pepcid. The typical dose is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Best of luck with your girl and please let me know how you get on!

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi Christine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chloe. How is everything going?

Pet Doc