Dr. J.W.
Dr. J.W., Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 9 years practicing small animal vet
71500056

can a thyroid problem cause elevated upc levels?

Dr. JW :

No, hypothyroidism should not cause protein in the urine. I would be on the look out for Shar pei fever as the cause.

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

they have rulled shar pei fever out

Customer:

his secondary issue is prolapse colon he has some inflamation that is causing him to prolaps

Customer:

one doctor advised us to put him to sleep and two others said not too

Customer:

we are just waiting until tomorrow to get him to another clinic as everything is closed on weekends with the exception of the 24 hour clinic that did temporary purse string sutures on him

Dr. JW :

Does he have elevated kidney enzymes? On any kidney diets?

Customer:

i have all his blood urine work in front of me what abbreviation would i be looking for?

Customer:

bun and alt?

Dr. JW :

I'm so sorry he's having so many issues. As long as the colon isn't prolapsed too much, you can keep it hydrated with vasoline

Dr. JW :

Bun, cr

Dr. JW :

what is the specific gravity of the urine?

Customer:

okay ihs bun is 16

Customer:

us bun/creatine ratio i 18

Customer:

unfortunately his urine protine creatine ratio was 22.7 rechecked 3 days later after inital dose of hawthorne and elanapril and is not 19.1

Customer:

his albumin level is 1.3

Dr. JW :

what is the creatine?

Customer:

the reason two of the other doctors at the pet hospital said to do purse string sutures which we did and not put him to sleep was because he was not in kidney failure

Customer:

the doctor that said to put him to sleep from the same facilty said his ups being so high warranted him being put down

Customer:

creatinine is 0.9

Dr. JW :

Did they do a specific test for shar pei fever? One of the universities is trying to develop a test for it, but I'm not sure if it's on the market yet. It really does sound like shar pei fever to me. It causes amyloid (a type of protein) to settle in the kidneys, causing kidney failure. Especially with the UPC being so elevated, I'm very suspicious of this.

Dr. JW :

How about the urine specific gravity? might say s.g. on the report. It's a number like 1.025

Customer:

two of the three doctors seemed to think it could be spilling protein because of something other than the kidneys based on his blood work numbers and fact that he is not uremic spelling?

Customer:

but they did all say it could be amiloidosis because the breed does have higher rates of it

Customer:

but two said since he was not in kidney failulre and not uremic there professional opinion was not to put to sleep at this time

Customer:

as he could be managed with medication

Customer:

however the problem is getting the upc number down for a coloplexy as his high upc would prevent him from healing

Dr. JW :

We also need to figure out why he's prolapsing his colon- this is a separate issue. Ruling out parasites, and other motility issues.

Customer:

so we are managing with temp purse string sutures to hopefully get upc down to 5.0

Customer:

they said they would do coloplexy if we can get it to 5.0

Customer:

then also said another surgeon/vet may do it at its current level but i have to call for second opinions tomorrow

Customer:

he was dewormed and checked for giardia Sp?

Customer:

and heartworms

Customer:

all negative

Dr. JW :

It depends on what is causing the UPC to be so elevated. Some times endocrine diseases could cause it, like Cushings disease. I would most definitely consult a specialist- they would have a better idea of what could tie this all together like a nervous system issue, kidney biopsies, etc.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

one last question

Dr. JW :

I'd look into who your nearest specialty clinic is and who your vet recommends. Whenever I get a challenging case like this, I always recommend referral

Customer:

when he was brought in thursday for the prolapse that would not go back in on its own. they did the purse string sutures told us not to feed him for 12 hours and give him the metronidazole (sp?)

Customer:

he resumed friday afternoon

Customer:

but still no bowel movement

Customer:

should this be a concern? he had diarhea prior to prolapse

Customer:

he is urnating

Dr. JW :

if he was having diarrhea before, it's not uncommon for them to not have a bowel movement for a few days after the diarrhea stops. As long as he isn't straining to go, it's not a concern

Customer:

okay. thank you so much doctor i appreciate it. hopefully i can rent a car that allows dogs in it so i can get him to uc davis they were who i was referred to there one of the doctors is interested in his case.

Customer:

i will be leaving you excellent feedback thank you so much

Dr. JW :

You are very welcome, please let me know what happens with your guy!

Customer:

i will :)

Customer:

take care

Hi Marina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Baby B. How is everything going?

Dr. JW