How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 6526
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My chihuahua ate about 1/4 cup of chocolate cheese cake. It

This answer was rated:

My chihuahua ate about 1/4 cup of chocolate cheese cake. It had m&m's on it and oreo crust. Should I be concerned.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- How long ago did Chubbs eat this please?
- Was there any dark chocolate in there? Did you make the cheese cake? If so - do you have quantities you used?
- How heavy is your boy please?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He ate it about 30 minutes ago

Chubbs weighs about 9 pounds

I did not make the cheese cake but know it was made with milk chocolate


I am getting the quantities now. My son made it.

Thanks Dianna,

I will hear from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1/2 cup of hershey cocoa was used

Hi there Dianna,

Thanks for that. It is a little hard to assess the amount of milk chocolate your boy has ingested given he ate the cheesecake and not the chocolate alone. Within that 1/4 cup there would have been a little cocoa, a couple of m&m's perhaps, but unlikely enough chocolate to cause any real concern for your boy. Your boy could ingest up to around 2 ounces of pure milk chocolate and still be completely fine with only mild gastrointestinal upset.

Given he has only had around 1/4 of a cup of complete finished cheesecake, it is unlikely he will develop any symptoms as a result of this ingestion. You may possibly see some vomiting and/or diarrhea potentially, but even this is less likely. If this does develop, then be sure to start your boy on a bland diet from tomorrow morning. Cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and white rice is perfect for this.

If you see that your boy is really restless, drinking a lot more water than usual or tremoring in the next hour or two, then you will need to get him along to your local ER Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Pet Doc and 5 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Veterinary Questions