Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dog, a standard poodle, 8 years old, has vomited a white,

My dog, a standard poodle, 8 years old, has vomited a white, frothy mucus about six times in the last 24 hours along with a watery fishy smelling (smells like the anal gland) diarrhea, this only once. This with a loss of appetite, won't get up, just wants to lie on the floor.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- Have you noticed any other symptoms from Helsing?
- Is Helsing able to keep water down at all?
- How are his feces? Have they been loose at all?
- Is he up to date with deworming treatments?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thanks,

No other symptoms, I got him to drink h2o about an hour ago and he held it down then just about ten min. ago threw up twice, again white, somewhat frothy with mucus.

Helsing has not really had a movement, that I have seen in the last 24 hours other than the watery fishy smelling pool I found on the floor when I returned home this afternoon. I just took him out and he tried but I couldn't find anything but when I checked his anus it had signs of brown liquid still on his coat, I checked his anal gland and got no discharge. He has not been dewormed in I don't know how long but shows no signs of being infested. This all came on very suddenly, over night to be exact. No warning with other signs or symptoms.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
Hi again Chadwick,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. As you can probably appreciate, there are a number of possible causes for his symptoms here including acute gastroenteritis (from getting into the trash, something or he shouldn't have - or even from raw meat - particularly if it was chicken), a toxicity or something like an obstruction (partial or complete within his bowel) . If this has been going on all day and your boy has not had much to eat or drink, then he is likely a bit dehydrated for now.

You are best with holding his food for now and then try him with something bland tomorrow midday. Cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and white rice is ideal for this. In the meantime, try and encourage him to keep drinking. If he can't keep water down, he will quickly become dehydrated - so if this is the case, I really would encourage you to get him to your local ER Vet this evening if you can.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. You may also want to try a little pepcid for your boy. The typical dose is 0.25mg per pound up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc