Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

Hi my 7 year old shih tzu was just treated for hge. She stayed

Hi my 7 year old shih tzu was just treated for hge. She stayed over night and had iv fluids for almost two full days. I took her home Friday around 4. Recently she had two small episodes of vomiting. I started giving her medication to her this morning as prescribed. Should I be worried? The vet sent us home with special canned food. Small portions.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- When abouts did she have the vomiting?
- Has she been able to keep most of her food and water down so far this weekend?
- How are her feces now? Have you noticed any further diarrhea/blood?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She just had the vomiting now. One around 11pm, the second at 2. She also had soft watery stool not quite diarrhea but close to it. It did not have blood. She was also not interested in her water after throwing up. So far this is the first time she has had any discomfort with her food. She has been eating and drinking
Hi again Erin,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Hopefully this is the only vomiting she will have over night, but you will need to keep watch of her if you can. Continue with Daisy's meds as prescribed in the morning and the food that the Vet has give you for your girl. For tonight, make sure Daisy has plenty of fresh water available. If her thirst does pick up and she has a good drink, but then vomits up this fluid within the next hour or two, there is a real worry she could become dehydrated again. If this becomes the case, then you will need get Daisy seen again first thing in the morning for a follow up examination and likely more IV fluids.

It is likely your Vet has got Daisy on some gastroprotectants. If Daisy isn't on any thing like this that you are aware of, you could consider giving her a little Pepcid. The typical dose for this type of scenario is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of pepcid in dogs online here: .

If she has any food available to her right now, put this out of her reach until the morning, then try her on this again. If Daisy doesn't settle in the next hour or two, or if the vomiting continues, then you are best to play it safe and get her along to your local ER Vet tonight if at all possible.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Best of luck with Daisy and please keep in touch with her progress if you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Hi Erin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Much better! I followed up with the vet on Monday and she prescribed two more medications which seemed to have done the trick! Thank you so much for following up with us!
Great to hear Erin and thanks for the update!

Dr E