Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My older Pekingese just ate cat in clumping cat litter.

My older Pekingese just ate cat feces in clumping cat litter. She is now panting, restless and insists on being in my lap. I dont know how much she ate. What can i do to calm her down to go to sleep?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- How long ago did Mia eat this?
- She is restless and panting, do you think she is in distress?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She just climbed off my lap to lay on the desk but she is still panting.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Thanks for your prompt reply regarding your girl. The clumping litter can irritate the gastrointestinal tract, and that combined with the cat feces are likely making her feel quite nauseous. You will have to keep an eye on her for another hour or so if possible to ensure she settles down. The Xanax you give should hopefully calm her down in the next half hour or so. Because she may already have a bit of an upset stomach, you could also consider giving her a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of scenario is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is seems to be breathing rapidly throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Hopefully the pepcid helps to settle her stomach so she can sleep through the night. Keep an eye on her for another hour or so if you can manage to stay awake!

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She seems to be calmer now, breathing normally, and is asleep on the desk. She sleeps with me, so I will just take her to bed to keep her with me. Her gums seemed okay when I looked at them earlier, but I will keep an eye out. Is it safe to give her another Xanax?

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Great to hear her mucus membrane looked good. No - I wouldn't recommend giving her any more xanax. If she has already had 0.25mg that is actually a pretty big amount for a small dog and it is likely still being absorbed, so the full effects of it likely haven't 'kicked in'. It is excellent that she is settling now, so I think she is on her way to calming down.

Good on you for keeping a close on your girl and I hope she settles soon. Here's hoping she learned her lesson and that she doesn't try to eat any more cat litter/feces!

Kind Regards,

Dr E
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc