Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I have an 8 yr old cocker spanial she has a black lump the

Customer Question

I have an 8 yr old cocker spanial she has a black lump the size of a dime, on the top of her paw, plus one under her chin and four smaller ones. Can you help, what are they, should I take her to a vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- How long have these lumps been present for?
- Are they both about the size of a time?
- Do they feel firm or soft when you gently touch them?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The dime sized black lumps started a month ago, since then I have seen another 4 similar lumps appear. They feel firm, I can actually put my fingers around them, they appear to be just under the skin.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your prompt reply. There are a number of things these lumps could be and they may be both completely seperate things here. They could potentially be anything from sebaceous cysts or follicular cysts (which are benign) to malignant masses like soft tissue sarcomas or mast cell tumors.

The best next step here for your girl is to have both lumps checked by your local Vet. For this, a Fine Needle Aspirate (or FNA) would be taken and this could very well be all that is needed to reach a diagnosis. This is a quick and simple procedure that can typically be done without any anesthetic. A needle is inserted in to each mass, some cells are removed and smeared on slides and then a histopathologist reviews the slides to check the cells present and often he or she will be a able to give a diagnosis from there.

Depending on this initial diagnosis via FNA - further steps may need to be taken. It could be that these are benign lumps that can be left, or your Vet may suggest that they are removed, particularly if they are found to be malignant lumps.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Best of luck with your girl and let me know how you get on if you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had actually seen my vet prior to contacted you, but wanted a second opinion, you were not only able to confirm what she had said, but added more insight. . I am going back to my vet with some of your diagnostic views. Thank You again.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Good to hear.

Let me know how you get on if you get a chance!

Kind Regards,

Dr E