Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

my dog has suddenly in the last year acquired about 5 lipomas.

my dog has suddenly in the last year acquired about 5 lipomas. one is a very large one. What causes this and how do I treat it?
Hello. My name isXXXXX I will be happy to help you. Lipomas are very common as dogs age. We usually tend to see them more in medium to large breed dogs. They are benign tumors that arise from mature fat cells. No one really knows why they form, but it is most likely a genetic mutation just like all other tumors. There is nothing you can do to prevent them either. In most cases, lipomas require no treatment. The only times surgical removal is recommended is if a lipoma starts to grow quickly, is in an area that impedes movement or is infiltrative (between muscles). Surgical removal is the only way to get rid of them, but others will most likely pop up again. Plus, you can never tell if you fully removed the tumor because it looks just like regular fat tissue grossly and under the microscope. If infiltrative, you will most like not fully remove the mass either. These aren't usually anything vets worry about. They rarely cause issues. Most will just tell you to watch them. It is important to aspirate them and confirm they are lipomas, though. Some skin cancers can resemble lipomas, especially mast cell tumors or liposarcomas. The website below will have more information for you. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/skin/c_multi_lipoma#.UijMBsasjlM

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.