Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My Dog is suffering from Gross Hematuria since friday. We have

My Dog is suffering from Gross Hematuria since friday. We have taken him in to the vet and had him examined. They were not able to really give us any answers other than, we should nueter him because it could possibly be his prostate. They were unable to reach the prostate to tell if it is enlarged as he is a fairly large dog. We are trying to decide what route to go. He is a 10.5 year old intact male Golden Retriever/Black Lab. Only prior medical issues were an ear infection and skin rash. The urinalysis came back clean. They are saying that neutering has a 60% chance of resolving this issue. But We cant really afford to neuter him and it not work then have to continue treating whatever this is.. What would you recommend..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Sam's situation. Did they take any x-rays on him or ultrasound his bladder to look for bladder masses or bladder stones? Is the hematuria still very much present? Is it with every urination?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No as of right now we cannot afford the $250 xrays or the $327 ultrasound. The hematuria is very much still present. It doesnt just happen with urination. He is dripping all over everywhere, more so when he is more excited. It is both very thin as well as some clumps at times.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Is he straining to urinate when he goes? Does it seem like he's posturing longer to urinate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, other than the bleeding he seems fairly normal. No lethargy, no straining to urinate, same appetite. We have increased his fluids and he has been on 500mg 2xdaily since 9/3

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
What is the 500 mg 2x daily since 9/3? Is this an antibiotic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, yes he is on Cipro

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
That's ok! Ciprofloxacin is a very good antibiotic for treating prostate infections as it penetrates that tissue well. I'm going to be honest here with my opinion. I don't feel that neutering him is going to help with this situation. Dogs with prostate enlargement due to the testosterone from being intact can have pressure on the urethra and it causes straining to urinate. Prostatitis, an infection in the prostate, can definitely cause blood in the urine, but again, they are usually straining with this. In his situation, I would be most concerned with a primary issue in the bladder causing the blood. I would be worried about bladder stones, but unfortunately most concerned with a bladder mass. I would say with funds, I would get the most information I could by doing an ultrasound as this will be able to evaluate the prostate, bladder and kidneys as these are where the blood could possibly be from. I would also doubly make sure that the penis itself has been examined closely as there actually could be an injury or tumor on the tip of the penis. If the vet didn't extrude the penis to look at it, then this is a possibility.

I just don't feel that the neutering of him at this time will be the answer.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian