Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

By mistake I gave two Dalmatian puppies (13 weeks) twice the

By mistake I gave two Dalmatian puppies (13 weeks) twice the amount of worming medicine. One weighs 22 pounds and the other 26 pounds. What should I do? Make them throw up or just watch?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for them.

I wouldn't even think twice at this point. Most deworming medications are quite safe, and a double dose is quite low. I am not worried about any toxicity, and inducing vomiting would be worse than anything I would expect to happen. At the most, it could cause some diarrhea, and less likely vomiting. So, I am more inclined to suggest you simply monitor them for any illness. Of course, if they get a bit sick, a vet visit would be worthwhile just for some basic supportive care. Otherwise, I would not encourage inducing vomiting for only an extra dose of dewormer.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much Dr. Andy: one already vomited (with worms in the vomit) and both are happily playing. I appreciate your quick answer.

Eleanor Winters

You are very welcome.
Sorry to hear about the worm problem.

I don't always trust over the counter dewormers, so if vomiting up worms, it may be worth getting into your vet for a good broad spectrum product like Drontal Plus or Panacur (fenbendazole) as well.

Good Luck!
Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?