Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a french bulldog. He is about 12 weeks old. I feed him

Customer Question

I have a french bulldog. He is about 12 weeks old. I feed him Taste of the Wild (Salmon flavor) which is grain free. He has had a few episodes of bad dairrhea in the past, usually after shots or feeding him a new food / treat (always grain free). I usually put a little bit of boiled chicken in his food maybe once or twice every week or so but last night I tried feeding him some boiled ground turkey with his puppy food instead. Just so that his diet isn't always so bland. He also had some shots 5 days ago, his first heartworm pills (5 days ago), and an application of frontline about 7-8 days ago.This morning his stomache was making loud gurgling noises, it kind of sounds like the ones we make when we are hungry or have gas. He was also a little more clingy and quiet than usual. Usually he likes to run around and play a little in the morning, but today he just wanted to sit on my lap and be near me. He did eventually wonder off and started playing with his toys for a bit, which I think is a good sign? He also had no interest in eating. He had a soft stool this morning, but not diarrhea. Should I bring him to a vet or wait and see until tomorrow? Also, he seems to have a very senstive stomache, is there anything I can do to help reduce his episodes of diarhea and tummy troubles? I want him to be able to eat good wholesome foods, and also have a little variety in his diet, but I think that variety may be causing the problem?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has he been dewormed? If so, what was used?
2- Any vomiting?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, when I took him to the vet (at 9 weeks) they did give him a dewormer, and again this past visit (at 12 weeks). I am not sure which kind they used. They also did a fecal to check for worms and both times it was negative. And no, he has not vomitted as far as I know. Just bad episodes of diarrhea in the past.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Bryanna, one of the most common causes for the intermittent episodes of gastrointestinal problems you are describing of loose stool are intestinal parasites. There are 3 parasites (coccidia, giardia and whipworms) that are known to cause chronic intermittent diarrhea and yet be negative on routine fecal analysis. For this reason it is always a good idea to deworm and rule out the above mentioned parasites. The most likely dewormer given by your vet was strongid (pyrantel) which does not treat any of the above mentioned parasites. This is what you can do:

1- You can speak to your veterinarian about deworming using Fenbendazole (panacur) give it once a day for 3 days. Then, repeat after 3 weeks. Panacur will treat against giardia and whipworms. To rule out coccidia he will need to be treated with Albon.

2- Start him on a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can find this over the counter in any pet store.

3- Change his diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until stool is normal. Then, wean back to taste of wild.

I believe once you get him dewormed as described above and start him on a probiotic you will notice a significant improvement.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok that sounds good, however; I don't think he can have rice? My dog has allergies to grain. I have tried feeding him a grain based food before and his stool became loose and turned to an episode of diarrhea. Is there something else I can make with his chicken? Can I do 50% chicken and 50% taste of the wild? Or should I try the rice and see?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Bryanna, though rice is a grain it is not a common allergen like gluten, corn, soy, etc. which are the grains that we tend to see problems. We normally recommend rice in cases with diarrhea because the rice will help to make the stool firmer. I would give it a try and you will see that it will not cause diarrhea, instead it will help make the stool firmer.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok then I will definitly give that a try, I just called my vet to ask which type of dewormer they used and what type of fecal test they ran. She said they used a dewormer with a P, but I forgot the name already lol. She may have said Panacure? She said they also do a smear and float test and that if it was an internal parasite it may most likely be a tape worm, which I would see is his stools. I have not seen any worms in his stool. I did see small white/yellowish round specs in his stool when I first got him, that resembled possibly larvea eggs, but I haven't seen anymore since. It may have just been something else? And I will certainly try that probiotic.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Bryanna, panacur is given in a series of 3 days, not one day. Most likely your vet said Pyrantel which is the dewormer I mentioned above that does Not treat against the parasites mentioned above. None of the parasites mentioned above are seen in the stool with the naked eye, you would need a microscope. In addition, as mentioned above they are often false negative for this reason it is a good idea to dewormed as described above.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes! that was the one! okay I see what your saying now. I will definitly bring that up again with my vet. I think you are definitly correct on this as well, since this has been an ongoing situation and nothing else I have tried has helped. Lastly, should I discontinue the benedryl then, I am assuming if it is parasites the benedryl is not doing anything..

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You are correct, benadryl is not doing anything. Feel free to discontinue the benadryl.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thank you so much for your help! I think this will work! Have a nice day

-Bryanna

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Your Welcome Bryanna.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Peter,

As you suspected, Bentley was positive for Giardia and was given all treatments you recommended. Unfortuntaley he has been continously eating his feces at night and sometimes when I am at work and therefor keeps re-infecting himself. He is highly infected at this point and is on his second round of treatment. He also is being quarentined at home in his pen and we bleach and wash everything he touches daily. When we take him out we clean up after him right away. We change our clothes after touching him. The vet has also instructed me to give him For-Bid in his food to deter him from eating his feces, however it seems to not be helping at all. Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you,

Bryanna

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hello Bryanna,

If you haven't already start him on a probiotic like Fortiflora, this can also help in stopping him from eating his own feces.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes we have been giving him the Fortiflora as well.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Bryanna, the only other option is getting him on a schedule to defecate and pick up after him immediately, there is no other way. Feed him on a fixed schedule and immediately take him out at the same time every day so that you can anticipate at the time he defecates.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, I do do that now, I usually catch him eating his poop from the middle of the night or when I get back from work. I think I am going to have to start getting up once during the night to let him out. And maybe not feeding him at lunch anymore. Usually I feed him at 7am 12noon and 5pm. Is it okay to only feed him at 7am and 5pm? I don't want to starve him because he is a growing puppy.. and maybe I should try a cone at night? If he continues?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Place the cone at night while he sleeps. When he is 5-6 months old you can feed him twice a day, as he gets older he will be on his routine to go out and easier to prevent him from getting into the stool.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok will do,

thanks again!!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Your Welcome Bryanna.