Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

my dog is 3yrs old small dog 5lbs she woke up vomited and

my dog is 3yrs old small dog 5lbs she woke up vomited and couldn't stand up pick her up she was shaking very bad after holding her and petting her she calmed down waited a few minutes put her down she was fine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info about

- How is your girl now?
- Has she had anything different to eat in the last day or two?
- Have her stools been normal?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she is fine now every thing was normal prior to this

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. It is likely her response after vomiting was purely due to nausea, but if you can keep an eye on her for the next half hour or so, that would be a good idea. As you can imagine, there are a number of possible causes for this vomiting including anything from acute gastroenteritis to intestinal worms. Hopefully she is up to date with her deworming medication!

For now - with hold her food until later on this morning. From around midday you can start her on a bland diet. Cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and white rice would be ideal for this. Make sure she has plenty of fresh water available now. If she continues vomiting and can't keep fluids down - this is a worry as she could become badly dehydrated, so if she continues to vomit, do get her seen this morning.

In the meantime, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is seems to be breathing rapidly throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As above - do keep an eye on her for a little longer if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc