Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Since about 11:00 last evening my Bichon has been very hyper.

Since about 11:00 last evening my Bichon has been very hyper. Can't/won't sit or lie down, constant whining, rapid breathing, and scratching with back legs at areas on both sides of rib cage. No apparent bites or other problems in these areas. Vomited sometime last night as well. Most strange is that his tongue is a sort of bright cherry red. Symptoms remain this morning at 5:30 AM EST. Thank you,
John C. Benso

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Nino.

I'm sorry to hear that he is acting so uncomfortable.

It sounds like he may be experiencing some sort of allergic reaction. You were correct to give an antianxiety medication and an antihistamine. I would go one step further if he is still acting this way. I would give another 25 mg of antihistamine.

Also, give him a bath in case whatever he is reacting to is still on his skin.

If this does not seem to help him, and the problem is continuing, then you will need to take him to the vet for evaluation.

I hope this helps and that Nino is feeling better very soon. If you have any follow up questions, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nino. How is everything going?