Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

my dog is a 50 pound standard poodle pup ate tootsie fruities

my dog is a 50 pound standard poodle pup ate tootsie fruities (blue rasberry) about 10 of them in wax paper wrappers about three hours ago. Should I do anything.. also he is scheduled to get neutered in 4 days will this have any effect?

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Ingestion of these will cause a digestive disturbance because of the high amount of sugar. It is best to induce vomiting by giving 10 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide ...if Moose does not vomit within 15 minutes, do it can do this up to 3 times.

You have only a 2 hrs window to remove these from Moose's system but I would recommend taking the chance that these have not all been digested yet because of the risk of this disturbance.

If none of these have been removed, then follow these instructions to try to prevent or treat a digestive disturbance:

Fast Moose for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.

Give Moose Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.

Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes

After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If he is feeling normal after this, then there is no problem having Moose neutered in 4 days. It is good to mention this to your vet but by this time, Moose will be back to normal, if he has any reaction at all. Some dogs will have a tough digestive tract and will have no reaction to ingesting these.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your input.. we had to make him throw up once before for eating chocolate. but this time it has already been 4 hours... someone else who was watchng him told me about it like it wasn't a big deal so now the time frame is too late.

Yes, Rebecca, 4 hrs is too late...

Now, take some preventative measures in case of this digestive disturbance that I have described for Moose. Chances are that he will be fine within a day or so...if he even reacts to this. Some of the standards can have "iron stomachs"....

Good Luck, Rebecca.

Thank you so much, Rebecca for your kind rating and bonus. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Moose's condition. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a great day!

Hi Rebecca,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Moose. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta