Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My daughter has a 14 yr and and I have a 5 yr old.Because of

My daughter has a 14 yr and and I have a 5 yr old.Because of overfeeding the 14 yr old started vomitimg. we sstopped that. I gave my 5 yr olf Sentry worm x plus, she had one large formed stool. Now she has loose stools up to 6 smaill ones per day. at first they were yellow, now they are dark. both dogs. We have given them Kaopectatir (1 teas per 5 lbs aos the book says. My darks stools are a little formed but dark and thrre times last night! Is it the Kaopectatie making them dark? I tread I need to with hold food for 24 to 48 yrs! This is not being done! I'm on SS and can not afford to take the dogs in. Daughter and husband has no jobs and no where else to live. Please help me with these little one!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What were they fed?
2- Does the 14 year old have loose stool as well?
3- How much do they way?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The 14 yr old is eating rice and biled hamburg high now and so is mine, befor the loose stools the 14 yr old was eating Pedigree canned mixed with rice, mine was eating little champions with rice.

Yes the 14 yr olf also has loose stool and they are also dark, thats why I asked about the meds we are giving them?

The 14 yr old is about 10-12 lbs and mine is 15 lbs

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, in response to your question, yes it is possible that the kaopectate is the cause for the stool turning dark. The other possible cause could be small bleeding the upper gastrointestinal tract. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol, kaopectate or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst, the body is trying to get rid of the potential harmful things out of the intestinal tract. If this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body it will make things worst. Instead, you can start them on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours, you can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy. This will protect their upper gastrointestinal tract in case if the dark stool is secondary to small bleeding.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amounts of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation of the intestinal tract. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24-48 hours, they should be seen by a veterinarian. Consider having them checked by your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.