How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Andy Your Own Question
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29957
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Andy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog may have eaten some grapes. What are some signs I need

This answer was rated:

My dog may have eaten some grapes. What are some signs I need to watch for or do I automatically need to be concerned?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Lucy.

You have to be automatically concerned.
Toxicity from grapes is a type of problem that once it affects the body, reversing the toxicity in the kidneys can be difficult.

Raisin toxicity

Raisin toxicity 2

The two above links will help to explain why.

If it was only a few grapes, than the amount of exposure is quite low.
But, if it was a bunch of grapes, you should consult an emergency vet immediately.

There is more information about how much can be toxic above, although we don't know exactly as some pets can be hypersensitive.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm just not sure exactly. I had cleaned out my fridge and there was a bag of grapes. It doesn't seem like there are many missing. I just wasn't sure if there are certain things I should be looking for. It happened sometime between 7:30 and 9:30 this evening. She ate dinner maybe 20 mins ago. She's not acting differently. The reason I'm more worried is in leaving on vacation and have a pet sitter coming. She has not vomited or anything either
Hi Ashley,
Any signs of illness cantake several hours to manifest. Symptoms of concern would include vomiting, loss of appetite, panting due to nausea, development of bad diarrhea.

For your dog's size a few grapes would not be of concern. But, getting into several ounces would warrant emergency attention.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Veterinary Questions