Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Our Aussie "roo" is almost 10 months old she seems healthy

Our Aussie "roo" is almost 10 months old she seems healthy and active but has developed a weird limp it almost seems like her front legs are waddling? It seems as if it has Been a little worse over the last couple of days..she is very active and quite the jumper... We are not quite sure what to make of this
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Roo.
Rimadyl was a good medication to try. It is a commonly used non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. With a limp, the vet has got to assume there may be some soft tissue injury contributing to what is going on, and therefore, a anti-inflammatory is worth a try.

No x-rays. I can't disagree with that, but since the problem is not resolving, there may now be a good clinical reason for doing some elbow and/or shoulder x-rays. I only pick those joints, as they are common culprits for front limb problems.

One more thought...with "waddling" you need to ask the vet if there is any chance if a spinal problem like a disc herniation could be contributing to the problem.
Ask the vet to do a "conscious proprioception" test of the legs.
Also known as checking for knuckling. When holding the body in a certain way to provide support, the vet flips over the paw to see if it flips back on its own. I doubt this is spinal related, but wanted to mention it just in case.

It also could be some type of developmental issue, so the x-rays are worthwhile at this point.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Tina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Roo. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we took roo to our vet, her limp seems to come and go, she put her on a steroid, which she did not to too well on, about 4 days later she started with diarrhea, i told the vet about this and she said to try some pumpkin, which we did and that did not work, i stopped by the vets yesterday and she gave me some medicine for the diarrhea, 3 pills, one for yesterday, one today and one tomorrow, this is starting her 5th day of diarrhea, and still not seeing any progress, also i just noticed a rash on her belly, not extremely bad, but it is there..we had been camping previously and now we are wondering if she got bit by something, or perhaps injested something we are quite worried, and our vet doesn't seem to think much is wrong

Hi Tina,
This is beyond the extent that I can assist on the internet.
With new problems including: persistent diarrhea, rash on her belly, and recent history of camping and possibly allergic reaction, on top of, the side effects of the steroid...

I really think you should consider a consultation with a new vet to get another opinion.

That rash on the belly could be a pyoderma (bacterial skin infection), be a hypersensitivity reaction, as well as, we don't know if the steroid is fully to blame for the diarrhea.

But, by law, I am not permitted to adjust any medications you are currently giving or to stop them. Only a vet who has examined your dog can do that.

To help diarrhea you can give some pepto-bismol, but I strongly discourage using it repeatedly as it can cover up a more serious problem.

Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Here is a bland diet recommendation:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice
Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative including
Science Diet I/D
*It is important to remember that if improving on a bland diet or prescription food like I/D, when you transition back to the old diet, do so gradually over 3-5 days.