Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

my Chihuahua had a natures one beef eater treat last night

my Chihuahua had a natures one beef eater treat last night and vomited it up. Later that night he had diarrhea which was dark and some more happened today. Now he is not eating or drinking water or food and will not stand up. He's laying down, responsive, and will even wag his tail a little. He seems to be on the verge or in dehydration? his heart rate also seems to be fast
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Mickey.
Without a doubt, I actually feel he needs to get into an emergency vet.

His refusal of both food and water, in addition to, the not really wanting to stand up is a red flag. I do not doubt he is already easily dehydrated, especially from losses in vomit and diarrhea. He is very weak, and I am concerned about contamination from that treat.

He absolutely should get into an ER vet for good supportive medication including some fluid therapy.

Very sorry he is feeling so sick.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

DO NOT use any one of the above to replace the ER trip. I strongly feel an ER trip is worth it.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.