Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My dog (Cane Corso) had a surgery for stomach torsion. The

My dog (Cane Corso) had a surgery for stomach torsion. The surgery was very well, but a secretion was present after 10 days. He was opened again, the wound was cleaned and closed. An antibiogram revealed two Multi Resistant Bacteria sensible only to 4-th generation cephalosporin: Praeruginosa and E. coli. Now, 16 days after the second surgery, the wound is well closed, the general mood of the dog is rather good (it seems a little tired), no fever, eats very well, very good feces. But there is a swelling under the scar. Something hard is inside. What should I do in order to heal my dog?

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

Congratulations on getting Alin through gastric dilatation and torsion surgery. That can be a very difficult surgery itself and recovery is never a smooth process, we often have complications because of the scope of the surgery, poor blood flow to the incisions due to heart arrhythmias and blood clots because of the primary disease process. Secondary incision infections are common.

When we see an infection we can almost always assume that there won't be normal healing and we will see more scar tissue forming then we would with a normal smooth surgical procedure as a result. I also suspect that your veterinarian used a larger size suture material, possibly a nonabsorbable one, to make sure that the surgical site stayed closed. That also will create more scar tissue.

To help reduce the scar tissue and help healing I recommend warm compressing the incision area at least twice daily and then gentle massage of the area with an antibacterial ointment like polysporin or Neosporin. You can also apply vitamin E to the incision areas. Puncture the capsules and dribble the contents on the incision.

I also recommend oral omega 3 fatty acids. They are natural anti-inflammatories and improve skin and tissue health in general. Use a dose based upon the EPA (eicosapentanoic acid) portion of the supplement as that will balance the rest of the supplement properly. Give 20mgs of EPA per pound of body weight daily.

Once the incisions have healed all the way through (have your veterinarian confirm this) you can also use cortisone ointment on the scar tissue to help reduce inflammation and thickness.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The suture material was an absorbable one.

The hard body inside seems to be separate to the scar of the skin, which is mobile on it. May be the scar of intern muscular layer?

Thank you for the rest. I will try to apply your advices.

Adrian, thanks for the further information. There are different types of absorbable suture and some are more reactive then others so it may have been one his body is more reactive to. That leads to great sealing of the incision but may lead to more scar tissue. I do think that what you are feeling is scar tissue formed on the body wall and/or fibrous tissue formed when we have inflammation and blood clots under the skin. All of the recommendations I gave will still be applicable as those products are absorbable across the skin and the warm compresses and massage will help even deep tissues.

Best of luck with Alin, please let me know how things go for him.

Hi Adrian,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Alin. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Kara,

Thank you for your question.

There is no change.

But it is more clear for me the dog has less energy as before the surgery.

I don't know what to do else In this moment my only ideea is to wait one more month. If something goes bad I will look for a good surgeon for establishing another approach ( the vet of my dog refused to receive it in his clinic because he was scared to not contaminate the local - no comments).

Adrian Gavrilescu

Thank you for the update on your fellow. I know that this is very frustrating for you as your poor fellow has been through so much and still isn't back to himself. Scar tissue can take months to remodel so it doesn't surprise me that hasn't changed, but I had hoped his activity level and attitude would have improved. You may wish to consider a referral to a veterinary cardiologist as perhaps there was some heart damage done secondary to irregular heart rhythms and hypoxia, which are very common sequelae of the disease process. Not related to anything your veterinarian did or didn't do, but rather because of metabolic toxins and the changes in blood pressure to vital organs when we have torsions. Keep me updated on Alin if you have time, I wish the best for him, Dr. Kara.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your fast answer.

I am sorry not to very well understand the system: I rated once your first answer. Have I to rate the second one again? Will this imply for me a new payment?

Adrian Gavrilescu

You are very welcome. I'm sorry that the site can be unclear sometimes.

No, you do not need to rate my answer again, as rating me again would incur a second payment which is not necessary in my eyes, this is follow-up on your first question.