Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for him. Well, no question that he is feeling nauseated, but we don't know why.
Possible causes could include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.
Can it wait? That question, I can't really legally answer, because if I guess wrong, you would be really mad at me and rightfully so, since I have not examined him.
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine
) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.