Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

I have a 7 yr old female min pin...she was in heat about 2

I have a 7 yr old female min pin...she was in heat about 2 weeks ago. Now for the past two days shes been acting different and loss of appetite, laying around alot and now tonight she seems almost lethargic, still won't eat and I noticed she has a bloody discharge from her vaginal area.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
As soon as you mentioned the bloody discharge, that elevated my level of concern.

I am definitely very concerned about issues like a vaginal infection, urinary tract infection, and most important, a pyometra.

A pyometra is when the uterus gets infected and begins to fill with a pus like fluid. This is very serious and can warrant a more immedaite spay surgery to get the infected uterus out of the body.

So, considering there is also a loss of appetite and she is quite lethargic, this needs to be evaluated by a vet sooner than later. I wouldn't even wait another day before getting into the vet. Good that you asked the question this evening.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would it be OK to take her to the vet first thing in the morning then?

Hi Kim,
Well, for legal reasons, as I am sure you understand, I can't make that type of guess. Suppose I guess wrong and she gets a lot worse, and I guessed without having done an exam? That would be bad.

I could only say that if she gets any worse, you really need to get her into an emergency vet. There is no doubt she is sick, so as soon as possible, get into a vet.

Right now, you are the best evaluator of her condition.

Here are some other guidelines:

If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where I live I don't have access to a near-by emergency vet clinic; but thank you for providing additional symptoms to watch for. Is there anything else I should pay careful attention to through-out the night until I can get her to the vet in the morning. Also, is there anything I can do to help make her feel better?

With this type of symptom, I can't think of anything to give over the counter that would necessarily be of any help. Definitely, needs a vet to evaluate.

No other additional symptoms I can add at this point.

Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jerzi. How is everything going?