Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

HI... my dog has started limping. This happens when she gets

HI... my dog has started limping. This happens when she gets up form lying down.. This morning it was pretty bad.. but she still is able to run around and jump up without pain.. still is pretty agil. Just the limp when she first get up.

Thanks

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear that Meli is in some pain. At her age she most likely is either a soft tissue injury or some changes in her elbow or shoulder that is getting stiff, causing pain when first getting up. One thing you can do is keep her as quiet and calm as possible for about 7 to 10 days. Absolutely no running jumping or going down stairs. This can put the most pressure on the front limbs irritating the injury or changes. While resting she should be placed on an anti inflammatory pain medication such as tylenol. the dose is 5 mg per pound every 8 hours. This will reduce pain and swelling. If in a week she still isn't better or if anything worsens then she should definitely be seen by your vet for a thorough exam and x rays. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help!

Customer:

Thanks for the quick reply.. She's a very active dog, enjoys swimming after ducks and chasing rabbits... was out running this morning.. How do we keep her from being active for 7 days without her getitng 'sad'... or is this something we have to deal with?

Dr. Whitehead :

Unfortunately that is something that you will just have to deal with for a week. She will get "depressed" and really want to get out there and run and play but its obviously for her own good. In the grand scheme of things one week quiet is worth it if it allows her leg to heal without any further treatment/intervention. Just do your best to keep her calm and quiet and keep her on a leash outside to go potty then right back in. This is the best way to rest her.

Customer:

ok. thanks.. can we walk her at a casual pace for 30 minutes.. or will this be too much?

Dr. Whitehead :

That may be a little to much. I would limit to 15 minutes for now

Customer:

no worries.. Thanks for your help :D

Dr. Whitehead :

You are very welcome. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Hi Michael,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Meli. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

we ended up taking her to a vet last night.. she wasn't limping while there. The vet checked her spine and all was well.. Thinks it may be an early form a arthritis and to give her fish oil with her food. Asked us to video her next time she is limping.

Which was this morning. She seems to only limp when first gets up. Once she is warmed up it's not there. So I personally think may be muscle related.

On your advice we have rested her and will continue to rest her.

Thanks for following up

Michael

You are welcome. I hope she starts to feel better very soon.