Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

Hello. My dog has refused food for 24 hours but is drinking

Hello. My dog has refused food for 24 hours but is drinking much more water than usual. He has vomited a white frothy / mucousy substance 4 or 5 times.

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear that Teenie is not feeling well. It definitely sounds like his tummy is upset. The vomiting could be caused by many different things, if he ate something he wasn't suppose to. Even as simple as a leaf or a plant outside can cause upset tummy. Also viruses and bacteria can cause vomiting and nausea. In this case though you can try to give him some pepto at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 8 hours to help settle his tummy down. you can also give 1/4 tablet twice daily of over the counter Pepcid AC. This will also help settle his tummy. You can offer a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice or boiled beef and rice also to see if a bland diet can entice him to eat while settling everything down. That is good he is drinking but is most likely drinking a lot because of the nausea. So try the medications and bland diet to help settle his tummy and if you do not see improvement in 24 hours or so then definitely have him seen to make sure nothing else serious is going on and to get some stronger medications to help settle everything down. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help

Dr. Whitehead :

Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.Thank you!