Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

Tommy is a 8/9 month old jack Russel who gets exceptionally

Tommy is a 8/9 month old jack Russel who gets exceptionally car sick. It doesn't seem to matter how long the trip is.
What can we do to alleviate this?

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

I am sorry to hear that tommy does not do well with car rides. How often is he going in the car? What have you tried so far?

Customer:

At the moment he is not ravelling at all... due to vomitting., but we hope that he could travel regularly. We have tried small trips, with the window open a little to allow fresh air. He can see where he is going.

Customer:

I was under the impression as a young dog it might have something to do with his inner ear/balance development but if anything It has gotten wporse. Thinking about ginger tablets???

Dr. G :

Some dogs just get car sickness as do some people. It is typically not a problem with development and usually will not improve. Typically medication is going to be the best route: either an anti-nausea medication or anti-emetic or sedative/tranquilizer will be needed.

Dr. G :

One thing you can start with is diphenhydramine (benadryl).

Customer:

can this bought over the counter at the vets or chemist?

Dr. G :

This is an over the counter medication. Dosing is 2.2 mg/kg of body weight

Customer:

I just answered my own question!... yes

Dr. G :

This may help make him a little drowsy to calm him down

Customer:

He is very calm in the car... just sits quietly and alertly and then chucks!

Dr. G :

otherwise, other medications like Cerenia, ondansetron, metoclopramide, etc will need a prescription from your vet.

Dr. G :

These work much better, but can be costly if used on a daily long term basis

Customer:

thank you

Dr. G :

you are very welcome.

I wish you the best with Tommy. Please feel free to contact me again if you need any further information, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you do not believe you have received this, please reply back before rating and I will help you further. Thank you and have a great day!

Hi Sue,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tommy. How is everything going?

Dr. G