Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

my dog had a 24 hour pain injection after getting teeth pulled

my dog had a 24 hour pain injection after getting teeth pulled out and I accidently misread the label on her medicine and gave her another 24 hr pain med at 8:30pm. Will she be ok? I thought I was giving her the antibiotic. I feel awful and am super worried. She is sleeping right now.

Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dogdoc4u :

Can you please tell me the pain medication that they gave as an injection and what she was sent home on?

Customer:

Rimadyl for both

Customer:

the chewable tab is 25 mg

Dogdoc4u :

Do you have an idea of how early in the day she had surgery?

Dogdoc4u :

And how much does she weigh? Did they want you to give it once daily or twice daily?

Customer:

and the antibiotic is clavamox 62.5 mg....... She was ready for pick up at 5:30 so I am not sure

Customer:

She weighs about 9 lbs and it is a once a day dose

Dogdoc4u :

Did they possibly call you when she was done to tell you everything went ok?

Customer:

Yes they called my husband around 4:30

Dogdoc4u :

You mentioned you gave it at 8:30 pm. What time zone are you in (how long ago was that)?

Customer:

Central ...it is 9:14 now

Dogdoc4u :

So less than an hour?

Customer:

yes

Dogdoc4u :

It might be a good idea to induce vomiting to remove it from her stomach

Dogdoc4u :

The biggest concern is going to be gi upset

Dogdoc4u :

It can cause stomach ulcerations for one

Dogdoc4u :

Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%

Customer:

how

Customer:

yes

Dogdoc4u :

Great, go ahead and give 1 tsp peroxide and walk her around a bit or giggle her belly to mix it in her stomach to agitate the lining

Dogdoc4u :

If no vomiting after 10-15 minutes please repeat once

Customer:

Will she be ok

Dogdoc4u :

Yes, much higher doses have been tested without incident but best to remove it to minimize her side effects

Dogdoc4u :

Did she have food with the rimadyl?

Customer:

yes

Dogdoc4u :

I will wait with you while you attempt this but time is of the essence if we are going to induce vomiting

Dogdoc4u :

Good, that will reduce the stomach upset if she does not bring it up

Customer:

so should I still give her the hydr. per

Dogdoc4u :

Yes please

Customer:

ok

Dogdoc4u :

Would you like me to wait with you?

Dogdoc4u :

Please give me an update when you are able...

Customer:

I gave it to her....

Dogdoc4u :

Great, did you agitate her belly or walk her around? This is critical to induce vomiting

Customer:

I am walking her and rubbing her belly to induce vomiting. She just had a bowel movement right now, too.

Dogdoc4u :

OK, if it gets to fifteen minutes you can repeat this 1 tsp once

Customer:

If for some reason she doesn't vomit, what should we look for and/or what are the side effects?

Dogdoc4u :

Watch for vomiting (ironic I know but more than an hour from now), diarrhea, reduced appetite, increased water intake, urination, lethargy

Dogdoc4u :

And your vet might want to check liver and kidney values the next few days regardless because she can be acting normal yet 1-2 weeks from now show these signs so making sure that the values are normal immediately are important

Dogdoc4u :

Immediately meaning the next few days

Dogdoc4u :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes...I feel awful

Dogdoc4u :

Please don't. Accidents happen and very very likely there will be no ill effects from this

Dogdoc4u :

Again most of the tests did a much higher dose range (four times the rx dose) and the dogs were fine, simply had gi side effects

Customer:

Thank you for your time

Dogdoc4u :

You are very welcome

Dogdoc4u :

I wish you luck tonight but I really do think she will be alright

Customer:

ok thank you

Dogdoc4u :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!