Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.

I have A deer legged chihuahua he is neutered about 5 years

I have A deer legged chihuahua he is neutered about 5 years old raised him since he was 6 weeks old .He is very much loved never been abused has had all his shots no illnesses that we are aware of he is very spoiled .
He has been having strange episodes like he is in drugs or something . His eyes get all glassy . He becomes withdrawn and fidgety . yet wants to be petted and touched . like he's reaching out for help . He won't lick you. "which he loves to do" . won't eat . ect... I gave him a bath hoping that would snap him out of it . usually he wants to get out of the tub ." I take A bath with him" I put him out of the tub he jumped right back in with me . He wouldn't shake the water off or anything . This behavior last for hours then he is his normal happy self. Is there medicine that can help him .? We will love him regardless but it is very heartbreaking to see him go through this . can you please help .

P.S. I have A short video of his behavior if it is possible to upload to you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dogdoc4u :

I am so sorry to hear Sparky is going through this. Has it only happened once?

Dogdoc4u :

If you are able to upload a video that would be great but it might take creating a you tube page in order to view it

Customer:

it has happened several times but seems to lasting longer with more frquency

Dogdoc4u :

OK

Dogdoc4u :

I am not sure if a video will download in this format. Often it is a matter of creating a page then giving me the link so I can view it

Dogdoc4u :

How long has the last one lasted?

Customer:

at least 8 hours

Dogdoc4u :

Wow, that's a long time

Customer:

i know

Dogdoc4u :

Have you ever had him to a vet during one of these episodes?

Customer:

i dont think it could be eplipsy because of the length of time

Customer:

no

Dogdoc4u :

Unfortunately it still very much can be

Dogdoc4u :

Petite mal seizures

Customer:

lasting that long ?

Dogdoc4u :

I have a Pug patient I had them videotape it and forwarded the episode to the neurologist and that was their diagnois

Dogdoc4u :

Yes, petite seizures can last longer because it is not a full blown one just petite mal. Some dogs will shake, others will bite the air, while others will just bob their head

Customer:

what can i do ?>

Dogdoc4u :

Is there any way to get the video to me? Or you can also get the video to your vet to review and possibly forward it to a neurologist they turst

Dogdoc4u :

Spelling is bad today, so sorry

Dogdoc4u :

Trust

Dogdoc4u :

If needed, he might need to go on antiseizure medication

Customer:

mine to its ok lol

Dogdoc4u :

Has he ever been diagnosed with back issues or knee cap issues?

Customer:

he had a trick knee when he was A puppy but has not had any problems in years

Dogdoc4u :

OK. When he is in the midst of this is his tail tucked?

Customer:

no

Dogdoc4u :

But he is not responsive to you?

Dogdoc4u :

Eyes glazed over meaning that he does not respond?

Customer:

he responds to petting and being touched when you pet him he will paw at you to do it more

Customer:

but he is still out of it

Dogdoc4u :

My other suspicion is he is in pain during these periods

Dogdoc4u :

Do you know if he will take a treat?

Customer:

no he wont and he loves treats and doesnt seem to be in pain as he doesnt wimper or anything like that

Dogdoc4u :

Often in little dogs they will not show overt signs except in acute pain (stepping on a foot for example) or being startled

Dogdoc4u :

I have had Chi's for 30 years and it depends on the dog

Dogdoc4u :

Some of mine want to be cuddled while others search out to be alone and might hide

Customer:

when he has the episodes he seems like hes afarid and very nervous & fidgity

Dogdoc4u :

Which also goes along with pain

Dogdoc4u :

The only other possibility is a high pitch noise that you cannot hear (beyond your range) that is causing him distress

Customer:

if left alone he will just lie down the same spot and not move

Customer:

except his head a bit

Dogdoc4u :

My recommendation would be to have your veterinarian do an exam during an incident and forward the video for him/ her to review

Dogdoc4u :

Do you know if his eyes/ pupils are fully dilated yet responsive to light? Does he go out potty during these episodes?

Customer:

his eyes are dilated but have not tried to get them to respond to light i will try it next time

Dogdoc4u :

OK good

Dogdoc4u :

So the top differentials at this point are petite mal seizures, pain related possibly due to the knees or back, fear (high pitched noise)

Customer:

he has a doggy door and runs in and out but i have not watched him when he goes out as he does it many times

Customer:

ok

Dogdoc4u :

But does he does this when he is in an episode?

Customer:

yes

Dogdoc4u :

How did you get him to use a doggie door? That can be tough with the smaller breeds!

Dogdoc4u :

OK that is a good sign

Dogdoc4u :

Likely is not a seizure from all the information...

Customer:

he has been doing it since was a puppy it is second nature yo him

Dogdoc4u :

I have a big doggie door for my large breed dog but don't think I could get the little ones to do it!

Dogdoc4u :

Does this information make sense? Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything?

Customer:

his is small very easy to go through my cat uses it as well

Dogdoc4u :

I would have to have two!

Customer:

yes it does i was trying to avoid expensive tests ect... thought there might be a somewhat common answer

Dogdoc4u :

I understand

Dogdoc4u :

I can tell you I just forwarded the video from my client to the neurologist and was able to get a diagnosis

Dogdoc4u :

And we did bloodwork to ensure the liver and kidney function were alright

Customer:

thank you for your help

Dogdoc4u :

You are very welcome

Dogdoc4u :

I truly wish you and Sparky luck in getting to the bottom of this issue

Dogdoc4u :

And prevent further events

Dogdoc4u :

Definitely log them, length of time, severity, responsiveness, etc

Customer:

i will let you know the outcome if you are interested

Customer:

i will

Dogdoc4u :

Yes, definitely

Dogdoc4u :

I can set a reminder after you have rated for about a week out?

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
How is Sparky? Were you able to get any answers?