Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

Hi: I am switching my dogs food from Purina One to Blue Buffalo.

Hi: I am switching my dog's food from Purina One to Blue Buffalo. I feed my little yorkies between 1/4 to 1/2 a cup twice a day. I introduced 1 teaspoon of Blue about 4 days ago and today I increased it to 2 teaspoons of Blue to their Purina One food.
Some of them have soft stools and very STINKY!!! Any suggestions?
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Are any of your Yorkie's vomiting?

Do they seem to be eaten the Blue Buffalo well?

Were they having problems with the Purina ONE food before?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. They are not vomiting. They like the Blue.

They had no issues with Purina One except their coats are dull and I thought I should try a better quality food.

The same thing happened when I tried to switch the ir food of Wellness and gave up after a couple of days

Thank you for the additional information.

I am sorry to hear that the Yorkies are having soft and foul smelling stools with the slow introduction to the Blue Buffalo food. I have seen this very commonly with the more natural foods that are on the market. Unfortunately I would suspect that they are having the same issue that they were having with the Wellness diet. Both the Wellness and the Blue Buffalo are good foods for dogs though these diets tend to have higher levels of protein and can cause diarrhea or intestinal disorders in some dogs.

Yorkies, as you may know, do have more sensitive digestive tracts therefore they most likely will need a more digestible food to prevent the issues that you are seeing. A food that you could try that does seem to have higher levels of omega 3 fatty acids (which will help with their hair coats) and have very good digestibility would be Nutro Max or Nutro Ultra for smaller breed dogs. If you have tried this or do not like this brand then another food that could be tried would be Royal Canin's Yorkie food which is specifically designed for your dog's unique digestibility and skin issues.

Overall I would stop giving them the Blue Buffalo and continue to feed the Purina ONE until you can get one of these new foods and then slowly change them over as you have been doing. The pet store that you bought the BLue Buffalo will usually refund your money completely since they do not tolerate the food very well.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will put them back on Purina One (once again). Then I'll switch to Nutro Max.

You are welcome!