Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

blood in urine

blood in urine
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Charley. The most common cause of hematuria (blood in the urine) is a urinary tract infection (UTI). Trauma to the urinary tract - particularly the penis - should be considered in such a young dog as Charley as well.

If Charlie is intact, we also have to consider prostatitis which often manifests as blood dripping from the penis as well as hematuria. Charley's vet needs to run a urinalysis which should tell us if the urine is infected. If so, a broad spectrum antibiotic expected to be effective will be prescribed to be administered for 10-14 days and the urine should be rechecked two days after the course of antibiotics is completed to make sure that the urinary tract has been sterilized. Alternatively, his vet may recommend sending the urine to the lab for bacterial culture and sensitivity in order to determine the very best antibiotic to prescribe.

If prostatitis is likely (an intact dog), the vet should also rectally palpate the prostate for enlargement and pain. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll speak to you soon.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Charlie, please?