Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

my dogs are scratching and itching - what can I do to provide

my dogs are scratching and itching - what can I do to provide relief until I can get to the vet on monday?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 12 months ago.

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

I am sorry to hear your girls are not doing well.

Dr. G :

First a few questions: Has this happened many times in the past?

Customer:

HI - no, they have never had this reaction

Customer:

this is our 3rd summer here in Santa Fe in the same place

Dr. G :

I see. There are a couple things you can do.

Customer:

ok - great

Dr. G :

One option is to give them both benadryl. You can use regular human 25 mg tablets or capsules. They will need 1mg per pound of body weight (so 75 mg for a 75 pound dog). You can give this every 8 hours. This will calm some of the itchiness. The other thing that would be helpful is to get an E-collar (elizabethan collar or Cone) to help reduce self trauma.

Dr. G :

One other option would be to head to a Banfield pet hospital. They are associated with local petsmart stores and are open on saturdays and sundays and are much cheaper than an emergency hospital

Customer:

mmm - petsmart is where i take them for grooming - I looked online but didn't see a Banfield pet hospital?

Customer:

ok - just searched and there are 3 of them in Albuquerque - 1 hour away

Dr. G :

I think there are not any in Santa Fe

Customer:

I think we will try the benadryl .... last year when they were weighed Sierra was about 50 lbs and Gaia a few pounds lighter but close to the same weight - so 50 mg each every 8 hours?

Dr. G :

yes. If they seem very sleepy, back down to every 12 hours

Customer:

i have some benadryl here in the house but I cannot tell the dosage of the caplet - they are lose and not in their original box

Dr. G :

Human benadryl typically comes in 25mg tablets/caplets

Customer:

sorry - on the back it does say 25 mg each caplet

Customer:

got it

Customer:

does petsmart carry the cones? I can simply call

Dr. G :

Hopefully that will make them feel much more comfortable. It can sometimes take a few hours to kick in

Dr. G :

Many large pet stores have the cones

Dr. G :

they may have the typical cone or a softer variant

Customer:

ok - I guess that's it for now - they otherwise are very calm - eating well - perhaps just a little sluggish -

Customer:

what about a topical ointment on Sierra's elbow?

Customer:

neosporin?

Dr. G :

I would only put neosporin on if they have an E-collar on. Otherwise, it will typically cause them to lick more than normal and worsen the area

Customer:

ok - is that the only ointment you recommend - any other options for topical?

Dr. G :

I typically use neosporin. The other one I like is Tritop, but that is a prescription only medication from your vet. It has a topical anesthetic and a topical steroid in it

Customer:

ok - I think this will get us through the weekend - we see the vet first thing Monday morning

Customer:

many thanks Dr. G- I will select the rating of Excellent Service

Dr. G :

You are very welcome. I wish you the best with your girls. Please feel free to contact me again if you need any further information, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you do not believe you have received this, please reply back before rating and I will help you further. Thank you and have a great weekend!

Customer:

100% satisfied customer! many thanks!

Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian