Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 20 lb 11 month old dog ate my 100 lb dogs Combo-guard tablet

My 20 lb 11 month old dog ate my 100 lb dog's Combo-guard tablet about 25 minutes ago. What should we do ?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Neecee.

Comboguard is the VCA hospital labeled product for Trifexis.

Trifexis is generally a very safe medication, although even at normal doses it can sometimes cause stomach upset (vomiting). That is why we always recommend giving it with a full meal.

So, certainly this is a overdose, but I am not worried about any toxiity to the organs.

I would monitor for any vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or panting to suggest nausea.
Now, there is a very very low risk of a heartworm complication if Neecee has never gotten heartworm preventative before and accidentally had this heartworm preventative. But, that risk is quite low.

So, no need to induce vomiting, as inducing vomiting wouldn't be much better than vomiting caused by the tablet itself. If Neecee gets sick, you might have to go into a vet for some basic supportive care.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is starting to vomit, how long should we wait before taking her to the vet?

Hi Dolores.
I wouldn't wait. Since she is sick, it is worth the vet visit now to get some good supportive care.

That may include some antivomiting medication, maybe an antacid like some Pepcid A.C., and possibly some fluid therapy to help flush out the body a bit. But, I would not recommend waiting since she is sick from the medication.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Hi Dolores,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Neecee. How is everything going?