Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

We have two 8 week old labrador puppies. They have always

We have two 8 week old labrador puppies. They have always been eager eaters since we got them two weeks ago. We feed them 3 times a day,dry food soaked in a little hot water. We buy the food from our local vet. Since their second meal today,they simply would not eat even half the portion they should get. With their 3rd meal they only took a couple of bites. They drink plenty of water,and don't seem to look ill at all. We also have cats,and yhe pups have sneaked in a couple of bites from their food. We have changed their food about two days ago,but when we started the new food,they seemed to like it. Should we be worried?

Hi Azelle, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

I can understand your concern about Mia and Mowgli especially since labs tend to eat any and everything that's not nailed down!

I do have a few questions to ask about them first if you don't mind:

1.They have plenty of energy, correct? They're playful like they were before?
2. No other symptoms such as coughing or vomiting or diarrhea?
3. Have you offered them the old food?
4. Do you have a thermometer so you can take their temperatures?
5. Can you tell me the color of their gums?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr.
Yes,they have plenty of energy,still playing a lot. We have not tried the old food yet. Their gums are pink,and they haven't been vomiting or coughing. Sometimes their 'poo' is a bit watery,but not all the time. Unfortunately we don't have a thermometer at our disposal. They had their first injections 5 days ago. Hope this help?
Thanks so much for the additional information.

The fact that they still have a lot of energy, have no other signs (other than the intermittent loose stool which might be secondary to parasites) and have a normal gum color are all very good signs.

It would be a little unusual for two pups to decide they don't like their new food but I suppose it's possible. I've seem some "good" eaters turn into pups who just aren't as interested in their food although it's not common for this breed. And, since I'm sure they're spending a great deal of energy running around and playing with each other, food might not be quite as high a priority in the scheme of things.

I've also seen pups develop mild fevers after receiving vaccinations which causes them to have a decreased interest in food; however, they should not still be having this type of reaction five days later since it's usually within 24-36 hours after the shots are given.

I might offer them their old food. I might also mix some canned food or a small amount of yogurt in the dry kibble to "spice" it up a bit and tempt them.
I don't know if I'd offer boiled chicken (since it's very bland) just yet although it's another option to try. If they eat it quite eagerly, then they may just not like the dry food as much.

But, it's hard to become too concerned since they aren't showing any other signs of illness at this time.

I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
I also wanted to wish you the best with your pups.

I hope you'll keep me posted about them.

Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate. I can also send you a follow up email in a few days to which you can respond when you have the time to do so.

Kindly ignore the request for additional information. Regards, Deb

Hello Azelle:
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mia & Mowgli. How are they doing? Deb