Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

dog has not drunk water for 48 hours

dog has not drunk water for 48 hours
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Is she showing any other signs- vomitng, diarrhea, lethargy?
Is she still eating food?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she has not been as active. Resists going for walks. She is eating some food, but not much.

Ok thanks.

So it sounds like she's pretty much normal otherwise. She's not looking too bad anyways. It may just be some GI upset that is leading to the lower appetite and reluctance to drink. If you want to try a GI protectant, you can pick up Pepcid AC (Famotidine) over the counter and give her 1/2 of a 10 mg tab every 12-24 hours as needed.

I would make sure you look in her mouth to make sure you don't see any diseased teeth. Sometimes we'll have painful teeth cause a decreased thirst, especially when the water is cold.

If you want to try something else at home, you can get some Pedialyte or Gatorade and offer that. Sometimes they will take better to flavors and that will get them used to drinking again.

If she goes another 24 hours without any water consumption, then I would get her looked at by a vet to make sure there's not something serious going on.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has urinated a couple of times each day but no bowel movement. Is that still in the realms of okay?

Yeah, the lack of bowel movements doesn't bother me. The colon is probably reabsorbing more water from the gut and that is making the stool hard and slowing down the motility in there.