Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

5 month old boxer german shepard mix...he is running around

5 month old boxer german shepard mix...he is running around and chasing his toy and playing...he jumps on bed and furniture....he eats fine ad no bathroom problems...I can touch and pull all his legs without him yelping or biting...
but when we take him for a walk he hobbles bit and his head goes up and down...any ideas...this has been going on for 2 days...should I call the vet
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like you may be seeing something that we call growing pains. This is basically some pain in the growth plates that happens in young larger breed dogs during the first year of life.

They will often have a shifting leg lameness that comes and goes with exercise. It's not usually a constant pain.

Many of these will resolve on their own over a couple days. If you think it's affecting his quality of life, then I would get him seen and get him on some pain meds.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I also forgot to mention he has the beginning of a hot spot on his back leg...is this something

That should be addressed. We treat those by clipping the hair from the area, scrubbing it topically and then putting them on oral antibiotics. I would take him in to get that managed or they can spread quite a bit.