Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog, a XXXXX XXXXX, seems to have a yeast coming out of

My dog, a XXXXX XXXXX, seems to have a yeast coming out of his skin. which he scratches constantly. We bathe him with a liquid medicated soap. That seems to aide him for a day or two then he scratches as it gets worse. when it gets bad he seems to have a fever. We have taken him to a vet twice, both times he got a cortizone shot, a very small pill for the yeast and some medicated soap. This works for about a month or until the pills run out, then he is right back to being miserable. What can I do for him? His food is Beniful and he gets nothing off the table. He also gets a few milk bones a day, and a small amount of raw hide bones.
Thank You
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like you're dealing with allergies. The only way to truly manage these dogs is by getting allergy testing to find out what they're allergic to and then doing immuno-therapy to de-sensitize the immune system. If you just use things like shampoos and steroids and Benadryl, it's just a bandaid.

My advice would be to consult a veterinary dermatologist. They will do the allergy testing and then order an allergy serum made specifically for your dog. They'll have a schedule on when to give injections of that serum to de-sensitize the immune system over time. They may also use some steroids if the itching is bad, but they'll use daily oral steroids instead of injectable steroids. They work better and they can be altered based on the response.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.