Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

Hello, we found fleas on our cat and dog about 9 days ago.

Hello, we found fleas on our cat and dog about 9 days ago. I treated the cat with Hartz First Defense flea treatment, and we had a sample of Frontline from the vet that I used on the dog. He's a 30 lb 5 month old boxer. The cat is about 12 lbs and 2 years old.

Additionally, we had our house professionally sprayed, and vacuumed and gave both pets flea baths. However, 9 days later, I'm finding fleas on the dog again. Is this normal? Can I give the dog something else besides Frontline? What can we do to completely get rid of these things?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Stacy :

It is not unusual if you get a flea infestation in your environment for it to be more of a challenge to get under control. The reason is... fleas have multiple life stages, good products like Frontline will kill 3 of the 4 life stages. Lesser quality product like the Harts will only kill the adult flea stage. None of the products will kill the larval stage. So, once you get a flea larva in the environment... fleas will keep hatching out and you will see them. The frontline should kill the adults once they hatch, but it doesn't happen instantly. It should happen before those fleas are able to lay eggs, thereby breaking the flea cycle. It can take 3 months of consistent administration to get rid of them completely.

Dr. Stacy :

All that being said, I have seen some resistance or slow kill rate with adult fleas to frontline in my area. I still use it because it is so good at ticks and the egg stage. But, with bad flea infestations I will add Comfortis.

Customer:

Would I be able to buy Frontline for the cat and give it to her more quickly than a month?

Dr. Stacy :

Comfortis is a prescription flea product that your vet may or may not carry and is great in dogs.

Customer:

Is Comfortis something I can buy at a vet's office, or where can I purchase that?

Customer:

Oh, ok. Thank you. I was just hoping with the spray we had done and vacumming that it would've helped with this problem

Customer:

in combination with the frontline and the flea shampoo baths. Do baths wash off the frontline by any chance?

Dr. Stacy :

You can use the frontline every 3 weeks...sometimes that helps. And keep up with the environmental control. I don't usually do the bathing. It doesn't help that much. It is not suppose to wash the frontline off as long as it has been more than 48 hours since you applied it.

Dr. Stacy :

Best of luck to you.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you for your help. I will call the vet and see if we can get some Comfortis

Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years of experience in general practice.