Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog got sprayed by a skunk about 30 mins ago. I put her

My dog got sprayed by a skunk about 30 mins ago. I put her right in the tub and washed her with peroxide/dawn dish soap/baking soda mixture. The problem is that she has 2 week old puppies that she is currently nursing. I can't imagine putting her back in the whelping box with them; the smell is unbearable. She is still in the bathroom as I do not want to put her outside for the night, either.. What should I do??

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm very sorry to hear (glad I can't smell it at this moment) about this unfortunate encounter of Dixie with the skunk. At this time, I would bath her a couple more times in the peroxide / dawn dish soap / baking soda mixture and let it soak on her fur for 5 to 10 minutes and then rinse between the washing. The more you physically have the mixture on her and then rinse, the more of the noxious spray you're going to get off. While physically the odor is extremely offensive, it shouldn't bother the nursing puppies at this time. I would feel that after another couple baths, the odor will be more tolerable and she can go back with the pups. At this age, they are nursing every 2 to 4 hours most likely and unless you want to take over nursing here for the night, I would let her do her job and the pups won't be bothered by this at all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just used up all the Peroxide I have, and have no puppy milk replacer here.. (it's 1:30 in the morning here, so a store run is not an option) is there any other safe mixtures I can wash her with?? I am so relieved to know she can (eventually) get back with her pups tonight Smile

You can use the baking soda and dawn dish soap together and apply that to her. The spray is oily and it wants to coat and stick to the coat. The more rinsing / washing of the area of contact, the more spray that is physically removed. The 1:30 am run is definitely not something that is fun to do even if it was an option Dayna. Try washing her a couple more times and then let her be with the pups. In the morning, you can wash her some more when you get the peroxide to add into the mixture to help further get the spray off. I know it doesn't smell good, but she'll get through this!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Awesome, thank you SO, SO much!!!