Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

On July 31st my dog Ozzie licked some incesticide which caused

On July 31st my dog Ozzie licked some incesticide which caused immediate vomiting. He was taken to the vet immediately and the vet called poison control who said that he did not get enough to cause any lasting effects and the vet gave him a famotidine shot and sent him home. He seemed fine after that but then on 8/2 had diarrhea all day. Called the vet back and it was attributed to the stomach upset that he'd experienced from the poison incident. The problem was gone by the next day.

Since then however it seems that Ozzie is having at least one day each week of diarrhea. Tonight is at least the 4th time this month that he has had it. It usually begins after his 30 min run (in the evening) and then it will last all night until the next morning. After that everything goes back to normal and he is fine. There is no blood in the stool at all but he is definitely straining and after he goes a couple of times he will just strain and nothing will come out or just a little bit of liquid, like a few drops. On 8/10 he began taking Metronidazole, 500 mg twice a day for 5 days. He finished all the medication successfully and seemed fine during the duration of the meds.

He is back to having diarrhea tonight. One thing I noticed was that last week the night before he had diarrhea, he had bad gas. I noticed this in the bedroom when we were sleeping that night, but the diarrhea didn't start until 6pm the next evening. The same thing happened today. Last night when we went to bed I noticed that he was having bad gas and now today he is having diarrhea again.

I'm not sure what to attribute this problem to. There has been no change in diet, no change in exercise (he always has his 30 min runs in the evening ever since I've had him) no change in household dynamics or stress. Other than this he acts completely normal. I am thinking to bring a stool sample to the vet tomorrow as one of my other dogs has an appt scheduled but I'm not sure what else to do or check.

The only thing that I can think of that is different is that my roommate has a cat who has been insistent on going in the backyard lately. I think she is going to the bathroom out there and a couple of times I have caught Ozzie digging in the dirt where she hangs out. I always stop him when he does this but I can't guarantee that he hasn't swallowed any cat poop. He is never left in the backyard unattended so I don't believe he could be eating anything else.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this random, intermittent bouts of diarrhea with Ozzie. I feel that bringing a stool sample to your vet when he has some of the diarrhea, and when he has normal stools will help to make sure there is no parasitic cause for this going on. But, based on the description of it going back to normal and then randomly being loose, I would absolutely be most suspicious that he's finding and eating something that is giving him these events. The gas the night before is the earlier indication that the colon isn't happy. Then it progresses to the diarrhea. What is he eating / getting into? That is the question that is hard to know. Could he be eating something outside - the cat stools, a plant, etc? Could he be getting into the garbage or some other human food (counter surfing)? I would be very carefully watching to see what he most likely is getting into to cause this. It just seems that this is most logical given everything else. Some dogs can have inflammatory bowel disease that can flare up and they need special diets to control it or sometimes other medications. But for his situation, it seems that this isn't as likely with how it clears up on its own.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible that something eaten 24 hours prior can cause the problem? For instance, he usually gets a Kong treat after his run. I usually fill the Kong with cream cheese but on occasion when I have run out of cream cheese I will put peanut butter. Last night he got peanut butter and thinking back he is probably getting peanut butter about once a week. I thought that since dogs had a smaller or faster digestive tract than people that if a food was going to cause diarrhea it would be faster than 24 hours later?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
24 hours prior to all the events happening would be very suspect. If you want to run a trial and see what happens, you could have him normal and then give the peanut butter. His digestive tract most likely just doesn't tolerate it well. I see a lot of cases where eating something causes diarrhea in the next 12 to 24 hours. I think you make be onto something here!
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I will still bring in a stool sample tomorrow just to be sure, but I will definitely test to see if the peanut butter is the cause as well.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I would be extremely suspicious of the peanut butter. Or could larger amounts of the cream cheese cause it. Something being eaten on a random basis just seems so suspect here. Good luck on finding the cause!
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian