Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My dog, a doxie mix, chewed the top off of a 2.7 fl oz bottle

My dog, a doxie mix, chewed the top off of a 2.7 fl oz bottle of dry erase board cleaner. The ingredients are listed as Ethanol, purified water, and surfactant. I know that some of it spilled out into my carpet but, of course, I can't tell how much. She is acting normal but is there anything I should do or watch for? Is Ethanol something they would like to lick up?

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear that Creo is trying to get into trouble. The good news is that the ingredients in this are basically non toxic. Ethanol is just alcohol so even if she did lick up some of it (which she probably didnt since it is very bad tasting) then the most that will happen is a little upset tummy or feeling kind of "funny" since technically she can get intoxicated with this alcohol. I would just continue to monitor her for any vomiting or abnormal behavior but most likely you will not see anything.

Thank goodness. I just kept wondering if ethanol was sweet to animals the way antifreeze is. So i was worried. Have a good night.

Hi Cindy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Creo. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead