Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

started coughing off and on the last few hours. Its like

started coughing off and on the last few hours.
It's like he is trying to cough something up. (7) years old. When he lies down he is ok.

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there! My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Oliver and his coughing. There are quite a few things that could be causing him to cough with his breed and age. The first couple things I think of that should be ruled out are kennel cough (infection of the trachea caused by either a bacteria or a virus), collapsing trachea (rings of the trachea start to wear out and the trachea closes up some causing him to cough), or a heart disorder that could be causing the cough. So the absolute best thing to do is have him examined to help rule in and rule out a couple things. If he is breathing normally otherwise and doing ok tonight then he does not have to be rushed into the vet but I would plan on having him seen tomorrow. A good thorough exam will help determine if the heart is functioning properly, if the trachea is irritated and if he has a fever or anything. Also an x ray of his chest will help also diagnose this and then he can be treated appropriately with antibiotics or cough suppressants, etc. . . tonight to help calm him down you can give a little benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 8 hours. That may help calm the cough down a little bit and help him sleep.