Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

Is it normal for a dog that had a laser spay done 6 days ago

Is it normal for a dog that had a laser spay done 6 days ago to have some slight vaginal bleeding? She was in heat at the time of her spay. Her stomach also looks pretty blue. Is this bruising from the procedure? Is it normal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Dogdoc4u :

Welcome to the chat!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dogdoc4u :

Yes the bleeding or spotting can be normal up to 2 weeks after surgery

Dogdoc4u :

The blue is not normal however this far out from surgery. It can develop within a few days and resolve within the first week but I would not expect to first appear at 6 days

Dogdoc4u :

If this is the case, it might be a good idea to have your veterinarian do an exam of the area to ensure there is not any infection or necrosis of the underlying tissue

Dogdoc4u :

Typically these types of postoperative examinations are at no charge to ensure they are healing well if any issues

Dogdoc4u :

We would rather see them back if there are any questions then wait and monitor for resolution

Dogdoc4u :

The blue would worry me enough to encourage a recheck examination

Dogdoc4u :

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today

Customer:

so what does it typically signify...what am I looking at?

Dogdoc4u :

Abnormal bleeding/ clotting times can be a concern

Dogdoc4u :

Although this is a little late

Dogdoc4u :

It can also indicate a suture reaction under the skin

Dogdoc4u :

Meaning, we don't typically see coagulation issues six days out, commonly during surgery or within 24 hours postop

Customer:

she was sent home without sutures

Dogdoc4u :

There are internal sutures that you cannot see

Dogdoc4u :

The linea and skin are sutured they are just what we call subcuticular or within the skin so they are not visible

Dogdoc4u :

This is a common surgical close technique for a spay

Customer:

even with laser? I will definitely be contacting my vet in the morning.

Dogdoc4u :

Yes even with laser. Laser is the cutting technique not the closing technique

Customer:

will she be ok tonight?

Dogdoc4u :

Is she acting normal otherwise? And gums are pink?

Customer:

yes she has been trying to be her normal self...trying to run, jump, etc. the things she is not supposed to be doing...and of course, fussing at me when I put her in her crate.

Dogdoc4u :

And her gum color?

Customer:

they appear to be the same color they have always been

Dogdoc4u :

OK, please is that a pink color?

Customer:

yes

Dogdoc4u :

And is she licking at her incision at all? Any discharge from the incision?

Customer:

she has on her e collar ...I don't see any discharge

Dogdoc4u :

Good

Dogdoc4u :

So as long as her color stays pink, she still is eating and active and the discharge is only spotting it is ok until morning

Dogdoc4u :

But if her color becomes pale or blue, she is lethargic, not wanting to move around or eat, her belly is swollen, there is discharge from the incision then I would consider a veterinary er

Customer:

thank you...I worry too much I suppose but she is just so small

Dogdoc4u :

I completely understand, I have two Chi's as well

Dogdoc4u :

They are so tiny and frail it is easy to worry about them!

Dogdoc4u :

But better to be worried then not noticing the red flags of concern

Customer:

I will still have her checked out asap in the morning.

Dogdoc4u :

Yes, I would advise that just to be sure nothing to worry about

Dogdoc4u :

Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything today?

Customer:

no I think I might be able to rest now...I know Sassy has been on my lap trying to nap.

Dogdoc4u :

Great, just monitor those gums and that she is comfortable yet alert when you move her

Dogdoc4u :

Good luck to you and Sassy!

Customer:

ok thank you

Dogdoc4u :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Dogdoc4u :

You are very welcome :)

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sassy. How is everything going?

Dogdoc4u