Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

my dog, 80#s, swallowed some splintered pieces of cooked pork

my dog, 80#s, swallowed some splintered pieces of cooked pork bones, maybe about 1'' long. What can I do? Thanks
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Did he eat anything else in addition to the pork bones?

How is he acting so far? Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ate dry dog food about 4 hrs ago, was drinking a lot of water, resting now, no vomiting.

Thank you for the additional information.

Pork bones that are splintered are definitely a concern, though the good news is that most of the time these do not cause much of a problem. Pork bones are digestible and are almost always softened by the stomach acid to reduce the risk of any punctures to the stomach and blockage of the intestines. Since these risks are relatively low, I do not recommend inducing vomiting to try to get the bones back out as bringing the bones back out is very risky at causing an obstruction in his esophagus.

Therefore I would recommend letting the bones digest and pass through the intestinal tract. At this point, here are some suggestions to help reduce the risk of any damage to the intestinal tract and any blockage.

I would first give him about 2-3 pieces of regular bread to eat right now. The bread will coat the bones which will help reduce any chances that the sharp pieces will puncture or scratch the stomach lining. After about 4 hours, I would then feed him some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling). I would give him about 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin every 12 hours over the next 2 days or until you see some of the pieces of bone pass out in his stool. The canned pumpkin is pure fiber which will pass through the intestinal tract faster then normal which will help push the bone fragment through to prevent the pieces from bunching up and causing an obstruction.

Most of the time the bone pieces should pass out in 24-48 hours at the latest. Symptoms to watch for if he would have a problem such as an obstruction would be vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal discomfort and lack of appetite. If these symptoms are seen then I would recommend taking him to your vet for an exam and x-ray of his abdomen.

Overall he really should be fine from eating the bones but I would follow these suggestions to prevent any problems.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will whole grain whole wheat bread work?

That would be fine, this type of bread is very safe for dogs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I keep him on his normal feeding schedule?

Thanks again

Yes, a normal feeding schedule would be fine.