Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

my sons dog ate approx 100 mg of norvasc he is at the vet now

my sons dog ate approx 100 mg of norvasc he is at the vet now any recomendations
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Hudson.

The typical highest labeled dose to give a dog is about 0.4mg/kg body weight. So, let's say he is a solid 80 pounds. Well, that would be a dose of about 15mg. So, ~100mg is quite high. Excellent, that he is on fluid therapy support.

With overdose of amlodipine the vet must worry about very low blood pressure, very slow OR very high heart rates (it can be either).

Supportive treatment should include possibly some intravenous calicum, to counter the effects of a drug which is a calcium channel blocker! Definitely, ask the vet about giving intravenous calcium/

Also, if any slowing of heart or drop in blood pressure your vet could try to counter the effects with what are called beta-agonist drugs.

He should likely remain hospitalized and under 24 hour supervision for next 24 hours and maybe up to 48 hours.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this happened approx 48 hours ago and the dog is still completely listless is ther still a chance of recovery