Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

Hi...my 18 month old schnauzer has had diarrhea since the middle

Hi...my 18 month old schnauzer has had diarrhea since the middle of May. Not constantly...we have had him to the vet several times, been on 3 different antibiotics (Flagyl, Ammoxicillin and baytril), been on several different dog foods, including rice and boiled chicken, has been fasted for 12-24 hours, then bland diet. We have given him pumpkin, which is actually helping a little but still having loose stools every 2-3 days. The only thing that seems to help is a quarter of a tab of Flagyl 250mg daily. I know this sounds crazy but the diarrhea stops and he has normal stool. We got him from a vet who breeds schnauzers and we took him back to her...she gave us the baytril. He has had an x-ray and blood work, ruling out pancreatitis. Also been tested for parasites including giardia test. We are just wondering if you have any suggestions.
Thanks...Tracy...very concerned pet owner!!
This is our 2nd schnauzer...first one had a mildly sensitive stomach but nothing like this !!

Dr. Scarlett :

Customer:

hi

Dr. Scarlett :

Can I get a little more information about Charlie's diarrhea? Do you notice any blood or mucus in the stool? Is he straining? Does he have to go out frequently or have accidents in the house? Has he had Panacur or Drontal?

Customer:

also he is full of energy...does not seem to be bothered by the diarrhea!

Dr. Scarlett :

Is the diarrhea really watery or does it have some form to it?

Customer:

No blood...sometimes he strains, it does have some mucus in it at times.

Customer:

it seems that the diarrhea gets soft, then it is watery...we have been trying the pumpkin then if he has a diarrhea episode we give him another 1/4 of a pill of flagyl and he is ok for the next 2-3 days

Customer:

normal stools

Customer:

only those 3 antibiotics he has been on

Dr. Scarlett :

Flagyl is good for diarrhea. It is anti-inflammatory in the gut and helps with Giardia and bacterial overgrowth. So I'm not surprised it helps him while the other antibiotics have not.

Dr. Scarlett :

Has your vet done a TLI, B12, and folate blood test at all?

Customer:

well actually all the antibiotics helped, just stopped helping after 4 days of not taking anymore

Customer:

he had blood work, cbc and chemistry and everything was normal...I am not sure if those were specifically in that routine work

Dr. Scarlett :

What dog foods have you tried?

Dr. Scarlett :

The TLI is not a routine test, so probably he hasn't been tested, but good to know that his bloodwork was otherwise normal.

Customer:

hills science i/d low fat, pro plan, eukanuba, and another one I cant think of...but they all have the same results

Customer:

always chicken flavor

Dr. Scarlett :

OK, a couple of things to consider:

Dr. Scarlett :

1. He could very well have a food sensitivity to chicken. I would put him on a "novel protein" diet--ask your vet what they carry as far as "hypoallergenic" diets. Iams Veterinary diets have a kangaroo and oat that would be good, Prescription Diet D/D venison or duck, or Royal Canin would all be worth trying.

Customer:

can we get this all at the pet shop? or does it all come from the vet?

Dr. Scarlett :

No, I would get the prescription diet from the vet. That way you will know it is made properly and doesn't have any chicken contaminants.

Dr. Scarlett :

I'll be right back, I need to make a phone call quick!

Dr. Scarlett :

2. I would recommend doing a TLI, Vit B12, and folate test. Often dogs with chronic diarrhea have low Vit B12 and benefit from injections (they can't take it orally). TLI can help diagnose chronic pancreatitis (which wouldn't necessarily show up on routine bloodwork).

Customer:

sorry...they actually did a separate pancreatitis blood work because schnauzer's are so prone to it...it was negative

Dr. Scarlett :

And I would keep him on daily Flagyl for the next 2 weeks as you make the transition to the new diet. With the new diet, he should get NO other food-NO treats, NO human food, NO rawhides, etc. Most of these diets come in canned, so you can use that to give the Flagyl.

Dr. Scarlett :

Ok, then ask if it was a TLI test.

Customer:

so would food allergies come out of the blue?

Customer:

we did not change his food prior to this starting

Dr. Scarlett :

Start with the diet change and ask about doing Vit B12 injections.

Customer:

ok..will definitely try this...the only thing that changed in May is we had him chipped...this should not have been a problem, right?

Dr. Scarlett :

It shouldn't be.

Customer:

ok...thank you so much!

Dr. Scarlett :

Good luck and let me know how things go.

Customer:

thanks!

Hi Tracy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett