Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

does an antibiotic injection cause higher urine ph in dogs

does an antibiotic injection cause higher urine ph in dogs?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Mimi.

Well, there is no question that the presence of a urinary tract infection, in itself, can alter urine pH, as well as, any drugs that are excrete through the kidneys can impact it as well.

Now, for whatever impact the antibiotic would have is short-lived, because once the antibiotic is out of the pet's system, the urine pH would return to whatever it was before infection and treatment.

The real question is what impact is the food having on the urine pH. Diet plays a huge role on urine pH and can swing it to being very alkaline (basic) or very acidic. Enough so, that just what you feed can predispose to bladder stones forming.

So, always wise to re-evaluate the urine about 7-10 days AFTER ALL the antibiotic is finished to see what is going on and to ensure the infection is eradicated.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could it have been also from ingesting carrots or possibly oatmeal I think she may have eaten this morning (definitely sure about the carrots and oatmeal was left on the table too)?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ari,
Sure, diet can briefly swing the urine pH in all sorts of ways, but I never interpret for the long-term in the middle of a urinary tract infection, which throws off a lot of stuff on a urinalysis test.

Always, best to interpret things like urine pH, concentration, presence of bilirubin, etc...when normal.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management